× Members

Help from Welfare Rights Worker

More
12 years 5 months ago #72526 by feline
Help from Welfare Rights Worker was created by feline
Hello,

I hope this isn't a stupid question but it's something I'm a little concerned about.

On Monday I am meeting a Welfare Rights advisor who has said that she will help me to fill in my DLA renewal form. I would appreciate the help and advice as although my claim 2 years ago was successful, I had to appeal and was only granted the award when the Decision Maker revised the original 'No' decision to 'Yes', after submission of additional evidence from my then GP.

Much is riding on a successful outcome for me on this renewal - my current DLA award pays for my ongoing private treatment which is not available on the NHS, and enables me to live alone (I am unable to live with others due to the nature of my condition). Therefore I have to get this claim 'right' in order for my treatment and housing situation not to be adversely affected.

I have spoken to the Welfare Rights worker on the phone and she says she will help me to fill it in on Monday when I see her. I am nervous because a) I don't know her and she doesn't appear very competent from the little contact I've had with her, and b) I'm worried that the application will lack detailed information and be filled in a rush, seeing as we're only likely to have an hour together to complete it. It doesn't seem like very much time to me!

I am nervous about her writing all over my form, and in effect, ruining my chances of a good claim. If for any reason this does end up being the case, and I am unhappy with her efforts, will it be possible to ask the DWP to send me a fresh renewal form if I explain that the one I have has been ruined? I don't know whether they send out replacement copies.

Again, sorry if this is a stupid question, but a successful claim means a lot to me and I don't want someone else to inadvertently screw it up for me, however well-meaning they are.

Thank in advance!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 5 months ago #72531 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic Re: Help from Welfare Rights Worker
I had some help from a CAB adviser when filling out my form - although, frankly, the advice on this forum was more helpful. we went through the form section by section and made notes on a pad as we went along - the adviser did not actually put anything on the form herself. Perhaps you could do something similar?

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• bro58
12 years 5 months ago #72534 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic Re:Help from Welfare Rights Worker
feline wrote:

Hello,

I hope this isn't a stupid question but it's something I'm a little concerned about.

On Monday I am meeting a Welfare Rights advisor who has said that she will help me to fill in my DLA renewal form. I would appreciate the help and advice as although my claim 2 years ago was successful, I had to appeal and was only granted the award when the Decision Maker revised the original 'No' decision to 'Yes', after submission of additional evidence from my then GP.

Much is riding on a successful outcome for me on this renewal - my current DLA award pays for my ongoing private treatment which is not available on the NHS, and enables me to live alone (I am unable to live with others due to the nature of my condition). Therefore I have to get this claim 'right' in order for my treatment and housing situation not to be adversely affected.

I have spoken to the Welfare Rights worker on the phone and she says she will help me to fill it in on Monday when I see her. I am nervous because a) I don't know her and she doesn't appear very competent from the little contact I've had with her, and b) I'm worried that the application will lack detailed information and be filled in a rush, seeing as we're only likely to have an hour together to complete it. It doesn't seem like very much time to me!

I am nervous about her writing all over my form, and in effect, ruining my chances of a good claim. If for any reason this does end up being the case, and I am unhappy with her efforts, will it be possible to ask the DWP to send me a fresh renewal form if I explain that the one I have has been ruined? I don't know whether they send out replacement copies.

Again, sorry if this is a stupid question, but a successful claim means a lot to me and I don't want someone else to inadvertently screw it up for me, however well-meaning they are.

Thank in advance!

Hi F,

You can download a DLA claim form here, in case you need one. :

www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits...edpeople/DG_10011925

You may like to look through our extensive DLA claims guides here. :

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/dla

You could then compare the information given by the WRA, to that of our guides.

Please come back if you have any more questions, and good luck with the WRA.

bro58

• RachelPotter
12 years 5 months ago #72535 by RachelPotter
Replied by RachelPotter on topic Re: Help from Welfare Rights Worker
Hi, could you get a couple of copies of the blank form?

Fill one in yourself as best you can before Monday, (but leave at home),

get the Welfare rights woman to fill one in with you

then compare the two and amulgamate them?

Best wishes,
Rachel

More
12 years 5 months ago #72542 by feline
Replied by feline on topic Re:Help from Welfare Rights Worker
Thanks for all these great replies - very helpful.

I actually have my old DLA form and as not much has changed for me, I was going to repeat the old info, but this new Welfare Rights woman was talking about ignoring all that and "filling it in for me". Eek!

Does anyone actually know if it looks better of a WRA fills in a form on your behalf or does it just not matter?

I will try as tactfully as I can to get her to make notes as you say, Mrs Hurtyback, and then fill it out myself when I get home.

Thanks for the link bro58 - I thought the DLA Renewal Form was different to the standard DLA Application, so as it looks like they're the same thing, I'll print one off if I need it.

Thanks again everyone.

Feline x

• bro58
12 years 5 months ago #72544 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic Re:Help from Welfare Rights Worker
feline wrote:

Thanks for all these great replies - very helpful.

I actually have my old DLA form and as not much has changed for me, I was going to repeat the old info, but this new Welfare Rights woman was talking about ignoring all that and "filling it in for me". Eek!

Does anyone actually know if it looks better of a WRA fills in a form on your behalf or does it just not matter?

I will try as tactfully as I can to get her to make notes as you say, Mrs Hurtyback, and then fill it out myself when I get home.

Thanks for the link bro58 - I thought the DLA Renewal Form was different to the standard DLA Application, so as it looks like they're the same thing, I'll print one off if I need it.

Thanks again everyone.

Feline x

Hi F,

I feel it will be the content of the form, rather than who filled it in that will be the important factor.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

cheers

bro58

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.