× Members

Lost my Appeal to Tribunal

• sidarigirl
  • Topic Author
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #73050 by sidarigirl
Lost my Appeal to Tribunal was created by sidarigirl
In went to the tribunal on Monday at xxxxx and was awarded 9 points for not being able to use a keyboard or mouse but got no points for not being able to write with a pen or a pencil which comes under the same category. Also ATOS said I had no muscle wastage which when I obtained my x-ray showed there was significant wastage. Unfortunately I could not get my records to send to them before the hearing. I spoke to them on the Friday before saying I had medical records and they told me to come early and present them to the clerk. I did not see her until the time of the hearing after being there over 30 minutes. They did not refer to them and the doctor present didn't say a word. I can't understand this points system. Don't know what to do now. :(

Mod edit - location of tribunal removed to prevent possibility of being identified.

pete17971
moderating team
Last edit: 12 years 5 months ago by . Reason: add mod edit

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 years 5 months ago #73055 by
Replied by on topic Re:Lost my Appeal to Tribunal
sidarigirl wrote:

In went to the tribunal on Monday at xxxxx and was awarded 9 points for not being able to use a keyboard or mouse but got no points for not being able to write with a pen or a pencil which comes under the same category. Also ATOS said I had no muscle wastage which when I obtained my x-ray showed there was significant wastage. Unfortunately I could not get my records to send to them before the hearing. I spoke to them on the Friday before saying I had medical records and they told me to come early and present them to the clerk. I did not see her until the time of the hearing after being there over 30 minutes. They did not refer to them and the doctor present didn't say a word. I can't understand this points system. Don't know what to do now. :(

Mod edit - location of tribunal removed to prevent possibility of being identified.

pete17971
moderating team

Hi,

The only way forward from an unsuccessful tribunal appeal is to take ones case to the Upper Tier Tribunal. However this can only happen if an 'error in law has occurred at the 1st tier tribunal. You cannot take a case to the Upper Tier just because you disagree with the result.

However see here for what maybe classed as an error in law:

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/forum?func=vie...mit=6&start=18#72205

It maybe an idea to write to the tribunal centre and ask for the 'Statement of Reasons' ie how the panel came to their decision. One this has been received, going through it with a welfare rights adviser/cab may possibly identify any errors in law.

If there are errors potentially the original tribunal can be set aside, and a new 1st tier tribunal convened.

Failing that, if six months have passed since your refusal by the DWP, or you have developed further conditions, it maybe possible to put in a new claim for esa.

Pete

More
12 years 5 months ago #73070 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Re:Lost my Appeal to Tribunal
sidarigirl wrote:

In went to the tribunal on Monday at xxxxx and was awarded 9 points for not being able to use a keyboard or mouse but got no points for not being able to write with a pen or a pencil which comes under the same category.

You can only score points for one descriptor in each of the ESA "categories", the one with the highest points value will be used.

So although you may meet the requirements for both the keyboard test and using a pen, you can only score points for one of them, and as both of these descriptors score nine points, the most you could score is therefore nine points.

Hope this explains it.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• sidarigirl
  • Topic Author
12 years 5 months ago #73136 by sidarigirl
Replied by sidarigirl on topic Re:Lost my Appeal to Tribunal
I understand that now but why could they not take into account muscle wastage which they were told I did not have but was in the medical evidence I submitted and they didn't bother to look at. What descriptor does that come under? Many thanks

More
12 years 5 months ago #73158 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Re:Lost my Appeal to Tribunal
sidarigirl wrote:

I understand that now but why could they not take into account muscle wastage which they were told I did not have but was in the medical evidence I submitted and they didn't bother to look at. What descriptor does that come under? Many thanks

I would guess that you could argue this as coming under descriptor 4, "Picking up and moving or transferring by the use of the upper body and arms.".

However, as Pete eluded to in his post, your only way forward is to show that the panel have made an error of law in not considering this evidence. Making such an appeal is complicated and often protracted, and you will need the assistance of an advisor with experience in this area.

It is also worth mentioning that unlike appealing a DWP Decision, appealing to the Upper Tribunal will not be covered by payment of the ESA Assessment rate.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.