× Members

Three assessments in a year.

• drabman
  • Topic Author
12 years 5 months ago #73279 by drabman
Three assessments in a year. was created by drabman
Sorry if this is a bit cursory. Devastated and really struggling. On IB for twenty years with bipolar disorder. Received ESA 50 in June. Stress nearly finished me off - in such a bad way that at one point police were called to my house out of concern for my health.

Awarded Support Group in August without a medical. Just received another ESA form. Benefit office claim it was a six-month award. So it seems they calculate six month from the date they send the form.

Was just starting to feel a bit better but I can feel myself sinking fast. I really cannot cope if this is going to be the future. Form after form after form with nos respite.

Is there really any hope?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bro58
12 years 5 months ago #73282 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic Re:Three assessments in a year.
drabman wrote:

Sorry if this is a bit cursory. Devastated and really struggling. On IB for twenty years with bipolar disorder. Received ESA 50 in June. Stress nearly finished me off - in such a bad way that at one point police were called to my house out of concern for my health.

Awarded Support Group in August without a medical. Just received another ESA form. Benefit office claim it was a six-month award. So it seems they calculate six month from the date they send the form.

Was just starting to feel a bit better but I can feel myself sinking fast. I really cannot cope if this is going to be the future. Form after form after form with nos respite.

Is there really any hope?

Hi DM,

You really need to see copy of the ESA85A medical report that would have been generated by the ATOS HCP, when your Support Group award was given

Within the ESA85A there should be a "prognosis", recommended length of award, and also reasons why you were put into SG.

You should make written request for the ESA85A to the benefits office address on any ESA award letters that you have.

You may also consider contacting your M.P. from the link on this page. :

Contacting your MP

cheers

bro58

• bro58
12 years 5 months ago #73285 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic Re:Three assessments in a year.
Hi DM,

I do not know whether you used our extensive ESA guides to fill in your last ESA50, if not they can be accessed from this link. :

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/esa

cheers

bro58

• drabman
  • Topic Author
12 years 5 months ago #73289 by drabman
Replied by drabman on topic Re:Three assessments in a year.
I called and they told me it was 6 months. So presumably they meant 6 months from the date of the last letter, which means much less than 6 months of actually being awarded ESA.

I didn't see the letter, because I was too terrified to open it, so I sent it to my mother.

It seems there is no way out, as I have a mental health problem. If I have a better period, or dare to venture beyond the very limited, lonely life I have, or begin to feel more optimistic, there is the constant fear that I will be penalised for that. As a result I have become more and more isolated and terrified to do anything even when I come out of the really bad periods.

I struggle to cope with any sort of pressure anyway. They have twice been told this - as a direct result of the first assessment I ended up in casualty ad as a result of he second assessment I ended up being forcibly taken to hospital by the police.

I am now in a situation in which there is no respite; what could be good periods will be made blank, blank periods will be made bad and bad periods will be made worse. It just all seems so very bleak and hopeless. I can feel the weight getting heavier by the minute. I don't even have the energy to go to an audiology appointment this afternoon (I am partially deaf) whereas this morning I was planning to use my disabled pass to get myself out of the house and explore.

I apologise if I'm alarming anyone - I know how distressing it can be to read stories like mine if you are worried about what might be in store for you. It is perfectly possible that yur experience might be much better. You will obviously hear more bad stories here as people will have less need to write about success.

I'm sorry if I seem negative and you are wondering why I'm posting. I suppose I am partly just talking it out, although I know this is not what this forum is for. I am almost totally alone for the next couple of weeks or so. My mother does care for me practically when I am in difficulty and can make it to stay with her (she lives 200 miles away) but she cannot talk about emotional problems, or depression.

• michaelg
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #73291 by michaelg
Replied by michaelg on topic Re:Three assessments in a year.
Hi DM

I was wondering whether you had considered contacting Mind, an organisation that can give advice and maybe support to people in your situation?

I am providing a link here -

www.mind.org.uk/ you can phone them on 0300 123 3393

I hope this is of help.

Regards

Michael
Last edit: 12 years 5 months ago by michaelg. Reason: clarification

More
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #73295 by cmarie510
Last edit: 12 years 5 months ago by michaelg.

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.