× Members

advice for when getting referred?

More
12 years 4 months ago #74851 by banito
advice for when getting referred? was created by banito
I have a social worker but he says his service is only short term and he has to refer me ..

I have 2 options really.. turning down help. or taking it..

Either way i'm concerned of making a wrong move and having benefits removed, like if they decide I can work.. or if I turn down help..

What if the situation is, that I get to a point where i'm OK as things are, but if I was to work, i'd have problems, so then what help could they give me? and then, if I turn it down could benefits be retracted..

I don't know what the right approach here is..

Any talk of a referral anywhere is some local thing nobody here would've heard of. Each may work differently. I don't quite know what the right approach is.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 4 months ago #74854 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Re:advice for when getting referred?
banito

We're not really in a position to advise whether the treatment you are referring to is something you should look at or not.

See Why can’t you answer a question about my specific claim?

What I can say is that refusing treatment is not a reason to remove your benefit.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
12 years 4 months ago #74862 by banito
Replied by banito on topic Re:advice for when getting referred?
it's not just a question of treatment. just as to the benefits issue.

My social worker said he's only a temporary service.

If my social worker refers me, then no more him.

And if I then refuse help from those he refers me to, then it's just me.

An advantage of having a social worker, was for example with ESA, they spoke to him and maybe that is what helped me to go through without a medical.. but maybe it helped me get to the ESA support group, how am I to know?

Suppose i'm on higher rate care with DLA.. and there are a lot of statements there since I filled out the DLA Well, like If they could help with x then that'd be helpful e.t.c.

If they offer it once, then does that mean i've given them enough evidence just from what i've written and documents provided. Or could it be that the social worker talking to them + that stuff, did it?

The DLA form does ask How frequently you get help, so maybe a lack of frequency of help or no help could be seen as evidence of not needing it?

More
12 years 4 months ago #74868 by Gordon
banito

I'm afraid you are asking questions we're not placed to answer.

With regard to your ESA, having established that you qualify for the benefit, the onus is now on the DWP to show that you no longer meet the requirements/

Unfortunately DLA, operates in a different manner, however, you do not need to receiving care, you just need to show that you require it.

What sort of realtionship do you have with your GP? Is it possible that they can help you? For DLA, the GP is normally the first choice for contact by the DWP.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
12 years 4 months ago #74895 by banito
Replied by banito on topic Re:advice for when getting referred?
My GP is fine, he could help with explaining that I require DLA

can I and how can I be sure that helpers and DLA deciders don't communicate? And that helpers and ESA deciders don't communicate?

More
12 years 4 months ago #74899 by Gordon
banito wrote:

My GP is fine, he could help with explaining that I require DLA

can I and how can I be sure that helpers and DLA deciders don't communicate? And that helpers and ESA deciders don't communicate?

The simple answer is that you can't be sure. If the DWP have their contact information, then they may use it, however, it is far more likely that they will simply contact your GP. Remember on both the ESA and DLA forms, you can nominate who you wish them to contact.

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.