× Members

Tribunal

More
12 years 5 months ago #75502 by Pedro1953
Tribunal was created by Pedro1953
Morning all,
I have just received my date for the DLA Tribunal - January 2012.

After receiving less than adequate help from CAB regarding representation at the tribunal, I have decided to still go and represent myself.

The reason I was turned down was that the decision maker only took note of my GP's answers on the forms. I spoke to my Doctor who admitted that most of his replies he had not questioned me about. This was remedied and this week I sent his updated letter to the tribunal.

I will gen up on this site before that happens as this is the only place I seem to receive unambiguous and honest replies to my questions.

I will update you as and when it happens.

Take care out there.

Pete

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #79973 by Pedro1953
Replied by Pedro1953 on topic Re:Tribunal
Well. My Tribunal date is today, in 2 hours actually,and I have been told that my appeal will be turned down flat.

This from a Benefits Advisor in ***********. I only knew she existed 2 weeks ago and so booked an appointment to see her.

She gave me her frank impression of the application form. She advised me to still attend despite my obvious depression - "You might just be lucky!" she said. Lucky! I'll probably get 3 years as well.

She also told me that I should not take a representative with me as the Tribunal would shut them up and not let them speak. Not looking forward to this at all.

Pete
:(

Note name of town edited out by moderator
Last edit: 12 years 3 months ago by . Reason: Mod Edit

• carole
12 years 3 months ago #79980 by carole
Replied by carole on topic Re:Tribunal
Good luck Pete

I have this to look forward to...

• bro58
12 years 3 months ago #79981 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic Re:Tribunal
Hi P,

Try not to be too despondent. :)

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

bro58

• Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
More
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #79984 by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
Replied by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law) on topic Re:Tribunal
Hi Pete,

What you have been told by this 'Benefits Advisor' is total garbage in my opinion.

No Benefits Advisor, no matter how experienced can accurately predict what the decision of a Tribunal will be.

I am a former Welfare Rights Officer and DLA Tribunal Member, so I know what I'm about.

The information you have been given about taking along a Representative is totally inaccurate. Whilst the Tribunal panel will most always direct it's questions to you, since it's your appeal, a Representative will be allowed to sum up, or put questions to you or the Tribunal.

I worked as a Principal Welfare Rights Officer for over 10 years in the town which the moderator has edited out, and I also sat on numerous DLA Tribunals in that same town and found tribunal panel members to be very fair.

I hasten to add, I did not work as WRO in the town, you mentioned, but in an adjoining town.

Most tribunals succeed not because of any real new evidence given at the appeal, but on what you tell the Tribunal about your care and/or mobility needs.

Best of luck and let us know how you get on.

Jim

PLEASE READ THE SPOTLIGHTS AREA OF THE FORUM REGULARLY, OTHERWISE YOU MAY MISS OUT ON IMPORTANT INFORMATION. Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 12 years 3 months ago by . Reason: Corrected Typo.

More
12 years 3 months ago #80039 by Pedro1953
Replied by Pedro1953 on topic Re:Tribunal
Back from the Tribunal and got a unanimous refusal. To be honest the panel were fair with me and gave me every opportunity to state my case. I just don't know what else I could have said..

Thanks for the replies, especially yours Jim. I will take note of what you say the next time I apply.

Pete

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.