× Members

New claims and sick notes

• pussycat1961
  • Topic Author
12 years 2 months ago #78057 by pussycat1961
New claims and sick notes was created by pussycat1961
Hi,
Just a quick question,
It's now been over six months since the DWP's original decision that I was fit for work, am currently awaiting tribunal.
If I make a new claim now as I understand I can, would I have to get two sick notes or will one cover both claims?
Never heard of having to have two but just wanted to check.

Regards,
Anne

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bro58
12 years 2 months ago #78065 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic Re:New claims and sick notes
pussycat1961 wrote:

Hi,
Just a quick question,
It's now been over six months since the DWP's original decision that I was fit for work, am currently awaiting tribunal.
If I make a new claim now as I understand I can, would I have to get two sick notes or will one cover both claims?
Never heard of having to have two but just wanted to check.

Regards,
Anne

Hi PC1961,

If you are signed off as unfit for work, then the one "fit note" covers you.

However, regarding putting in a fresh claim for ESA whilst awaiting appeal of a prior adverse ESA decision, it is not as straightforward as you may think.

You will have to go through the WCA process again, and maybe have a new face to face assessment.

Further, you could have the scenario where you win your current appeal, but again fail the fresh ESA WCA.

It may be advisable to obtain face to face advice on this.

bro58

• pussycat1961
  • Topic Author
12 years 2 months ago #78068 by pussycat1961
Replied by pussycat1961 on topic Re:New claims and sick notes
Hi Bro,

Thanks, I wasn't sure whether to re apply or wait and see what happens at the tribunal so think I will wait, I can always start a new claim if I fail the tribunal, is that correct?

Regards,
Anne

• bro58
12 years 2 months ago #78070 by bro58
pussycat1961 wrote:

Hi Bro,

Thanks, I wasn't sure whether to re apply or wait and see what happens at the tribunal so think I will wait, I can always start a new claim if I fail the tribunal, is that correct?

Regards,
Anne

Hi PC1961,

You can make a fresh claim for ESA, if either 6 months has passed since the date of the original adverse ESA decision, or before that if your medical conditions have worsened/deteriorated, or been added to.

bro58

• pussycat1961
  • Topic Author
12 years 2 months ago #78077 by pussycat1961
Replied by pussycat1961 on topic Re:New claims and sick notes
Hi Bro,
Yes I understand I can make a fresh claim because more than 6 months have passed but as you said, it may not be straightforward. Even if I win the tribunal, I know I'll still have more WCA assessments and have to go through the whole process again probably so easier just to take it one step at a time.

Thanks,
Anne

• bro58
12 years 2 months ago #78079 by bro58
pussycat1961 wrote:

Hi Bro,
Yes I understand I can make a fresh claim because more than 6 months have passed but as you said, it may not be straightforward. Even if I win the tribunal, I know I'll still have more WCA assessments and have to go through the whole process again probably so easier just to take it one step at a time.

Thanks,
Anne

O.K. PC1961 :)

I hope you gain a positive outcome in your appeal. :)

bro58

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.