× Members

Getting an extension for filling out ESA form

• ShootingStar
  • Topic Author
12 years 2 months ago #78333 by ShootingStar
Getting an extension for filling out ESA form was created by ShootingStar
Hi, I can't find an answer to this except one 5 months old. I've been on incapacity benefit 3 years and received the ESA transfer form on December 13th and it's due January 13th (not even sure if it means due in the post or due to arrive). I was away between December 9th and the 21st and I was physically and mentally ill after the trip (an expedition to India that was meant to be healing but was very stressful due to incompetent leadership). This means I've hardly got any time to do it now before it's due back and there's lots of reading from this site etc to make sure I fill it in properly. Has anyone heard if it's difficult to get an extension?I read on the old thread they were being refused and I can prove I wasn't in the country when it arrived but not that I was ill-well I could get a friend as a witness but I didn't see a DR. Am feeling stressed and anxious.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 2 months ago #78335 by Gordon
ShootingStar

I'm sorry to be adding to your stress levels but you cannot get an extension to extend your ESA50 return date, see the following FAQ for a more detailed explanation.

How long do I have to complete the ESA50?

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• ShootingStar
  • Topic Author
12 years 2 months ago #78444 by ShootingStar
Replied by ShootingStar on topic Re:Getting an extension for filling out ESA form
Thanks Gordon, it did say to call this number if you need an extension so I did. They said to me they didn't do extensions (why put it on the form then??!) but if I gave them the reasons why it was late and it wasn't too late I shouldn't be penalised- hope that's true.

• ShootingStar
  • Topic Author
12 years 2 months ago #78465 by ShootingStar
Replied by ShootingStar on topic Re:Getting an extension for filling out ESA form
Sorry, correction: it doesn't say on the form to call if you need an extension but it does say call if you can't return it but this date.

• Popkins
12 years 2 months ago #78524 by Popkins
oh no I was really hoping it was possible to gain extensions :ohmy:

I'm actually in a similar situation - My form was sent to me on 14th Dec, I flew to spain on 15th-30th Dec to spend xmas with my parents so only received it on my return and the deadline is 16th Jan :ohmy: similar to you it didn't end up being the relaxing break I had hoped and came back in a major flare of my condition and this was the last thing I needed to come back to...

To say I'm stressed is an overstatement - I had a full blown anxiety attack yesterday and I'm not doing too much better today!! I have no idea how I'm going to get it done and posted for them to receive it by monday - well tbh I know I'm not going to be able to!! :(

This site seems like its going to be helpful but tbh I'm rather overwhelmed with everything I need to read to ensure I complete the form correctly - I have only just discovered today that the form can be done on the computer which is good (my husband is filling in my form) but he works long hours so I just don't see how I can get it done on time!

:(

• Popkins
12 years 2 months ago #78565 by Popkins
oops sorry! I said I was in a state didn't I - just duplicated my post! :blush:

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.