× Members

Third ESA Medical due on Monday

• Jellybaby50
  • Topic Author
12 years 4 months ago #78713 by Jellybaby50
Third ESA Medical due on Monday was created by Jellybaby50
Hi,

I am 60 and was diagnosed with prostrate cancer in 2009. I opted for radiotherapy and was unable to carry on with my job. I attended an ESA medical whilst having radiotherapy and carried on receiving it in the WRAG group. Six months after radiotherapy I started having bowel problems and then in the November 2010 was called for another ATOS medical. I explained to the healthcare Assistant what was happening to me and she said I should not wait for my next hospital appointment but see my GP as soon as possible as it could be something more serious. I did this and was referred to a gastroenterologist and after a long wait was informed I had radiation colitis, which means I cannot always get to a toilet in time. Two weeks after the interview with ATOS I got a letter saying I had only scored 6 points!!! no mention was made that she had advised me to see my GP. I had to ring around for nearly 4 weeks and after many phone calls was told to send in certificates and information that I was waiting for more tests and then was told that they would change the outcome and give me nine months.

I now have to go on Monday morning for another interview after filling in the form. I have told them that the situation is much worse and am virtually a recluse in my own home. My PSA level is also rising and have been told that if it reaches any higher I may have to have further treatment, I still get pain in the groin area and feel so down. I really don't trust seeing these people I just know that I will be taken off again and have to appeal and how long will this appeal take.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 4 months ago #78724 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Re:Third ESA Medical due on Monday
Jellybaby

As you appear to be new to the forum, can I suggest you have a look at the following FAQ, which explains how to navigate the site.

Welcome to Benefits and Work

You shouldn't assume that you will fail the medical, whilst a significant minority have problems, the majority of claimants have no problems with the system and are awarded the benefit they deserve.

However, should there be an issue then you will need to appeal the Decision. The following FAQs may help.

Qualifying for the WRAG

Qualifying for the Support Group

How to submit an appeal

How long do I have to appeal?

How long to hear an appeal?

If you have any questions, please come back to the forum and good luck for the medical.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• bro58
12 years 4 months ago #78725 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic Re:Third ESA Medical due on Monday
Hi Jb,

Good advice from Gordon, you may wish to read this also :

ESA Medical – What to Expect

bro58

• Jellybaby50
  • Topic Author
12 years 3 months ago #80495 by Jellybaby50
Replied by Jellybaby50 on topic Re:Third ESA Medical due on Monday
Just an update to let you know how it went. Also thank you for your advice, much appreciated.

I had my medical on the 16th Jan and also had an appointment this morning with my job adviser at the job centre. I am still awaiting the outcome, but after seeing my job adviser today he was able to tell me I had been placed in the support group for another year. I am just so relieved. This site has helped me a lot with filling in the forms and what to expect. Many Thanks

• bro58
12 years 3 months ago #80496 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic Re:Third ESA Medical due on Monday
Jellybaby50 wrote:

Just an update to let you know how it went. Also thank you for your advice, much appreciated.

I had my medical on the 16th Jan and also had an appointment this morning with my job adviser at the job centre. I am still awaiting the outcome, but after seeing my job adviser today he was able to tell me I had been placed in the support group for another year. I am just so relieved. This site has helped me a lot with filling in the forms and what to expect. Many Thanks

Hi JB50,

It's good to hear that you have gained entry to the SG. :)

You should receive a confirmation letter from the DWP DM.

As you may be aware claimants in the SG, do not have to attend WFI's or Work Related Activity, they can if they wish on a purely voluntary basis, but can not be compelled to.

bro58

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.