× Members

worried sick

• jamesy
  • Topic Author
12 years 3 months ago #78928 by jamesy
worried sick was created by jamesy
please help i do not know what to do, ive been on esa for 18 months placed in the support group due to mental illness, over the last 6 months ive been participating in gradual exposure receiving therapy with my psychologist and with the help of medication ive started to feel much better and my confidence has slowly improved and i dont painic as much going outdoors, im desperate to get off benefits and get back to work, i cannot take the hassle and stress that trying to stay on esa benefit causes,i also have a young family that i would like to provide for, 2 weeks ago i innocently sent in a job application form to my local job centre, i read somewhwere that you could do some limited work while on esa i now realise that i may made have made a mistake, i got a phone call from the job centre on friday asking if i had got an interview (which i havent) they also asked my nin number and date of birth,ive been in a real state all weekend, not eating or sleeping running to the toilet with the thought i will now be under investigation for doing this, what do i do, do i send them a letter telling them that my circumstances have changed and im now in a position where i would like to get help and support to get back into looking for work,(put in wrag) or do i just sign myself completely off esa and claim job seekers allowance i do not care about losing the extra money, any advise would be greatly appreciated thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 3 months ago #78929 by Derek4
Replied by Derek4 on topic Re:worried sick
Hi Jamesy

You are entitled to apply for jobs whilst claiming ESA. You would only be required to inform the DWP of a change in circumstances if you feel your health has significantly improved or if you commence work.

There's no reason to think you will be under investigation for applying for a job or to close your ESA claim. But if you feel that your health has significantly improved you can inform the DWP. This would most likely result in another WCA with the possibility of being found fit for work or being placed in the WRAG, or even remaining in the support group, depending on the nature of your improvement.

Good luck

Derek

• jamesy
  • Topic Author
12 years 3 months ago #78931 by jamesy
Replied by jamesy on topic Re:worried sick
thank you kindly Derek, so because i have applied for a job that does not actually mean i would be classified as a job seeker?? and therfore entitled to job seeker allowance rather than esa? can i ask to be removed from the support group to the wrag so i can to get help into work or can i request this kind of help whilst staying in the support group

More
12 years 3 months ago #78932 by Derek4
Hi Jamesy

It is possible to volunteer for the Work Programme and get help and support towards getting back to work whilst remaining in the support group. But as I said earlier if you feel that your health has significantly improved and that it is not merely temporary you would be required to inform the DWP.

Regards

Derek

• jamesy
  • Topic Author
12 years 3 months ago #78953 by jamesy
Replied by jamesy on topic Re:worried sick
hi derek so i have not done anything wrong by applying for a job even though im receiving ESA. could the job centre see it as ive applied for a job so im obvioulsy not as sick or ill as i was or here is someone who is keen to get off benefits and back to work he may need some support to gain access back in to employment

More
12 years 3 months ago #79011 by Derek4
Hi Jamesy

Some people will make all kinds of assumptions from what a claimant does, but applying for a job certainly does not mean that you are fit for work or feel fit for work.

For example, it's perfectly possible for an ESA claimant to apply for jobs to keep options open or in the hope that their health will improve in the future, or even make an attempt to work before they are ready, which many people do. It should not have an adverse effect on an ESA claim unless the claimant actually commences work.

If you were contacted by JSA regarding the application it's quite possible that it was simply a follow-up call from the job-search team to see if you got an interview.

Regards

Derek

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.