× Members

Rules on permitted 'capital' / 'savings'

More
12 years 2 months ago #79691 by borkwen
I've had a large benefit cut imposed because DWP have classed a debt I owe as being 'savings'. The debt is evidenced by a legal agreement with my ex-partner regarding a cash payment to her to buy her share of my home.
The lengthy & complex legislation appears to me to accept that money to pay a debt immediately owed to someone should not be classed as belonging to a claimant. (It seems clear that any money owed TO a claimant is taken as being part of a claimants capital, so it would be logical & fair to treat a debt owed BY the claimant as unavailable to spend as 'savings').
Does anyone have any experience of this? I'm terrified of going to a tribunal alone and the DWP just saying 'these are the rules' (or rather how they choose to interpret them).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 2 months ago #79695 by borkwen
Replied by borkwen on topic Can I refuse visit by compliance officer?
I've had a letter saying I will be visited again by a compliance officer. He previously came into my home and caused me substantial stress due to his incompetence,
disrespect and threatening words. Am I obliged to see him, particularly as there is a tribunal hearing pending concerning the issue? Also, I am to see my MP about the matter (and about the behaviour of Jobcentre Plus) and I don't believe I should be forced to see a compliance officer until my MP has had a chance to be informed.
Any insight or advice gratefully received.

More
12 years 2 months ago #79698 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Re:Rules on permitted 'capital' / 'savings'
borkwen

You need to get face to face advice regarding this matter.

Why can’t you answer a question about my specific claim?

To give you an idea of the complexity of this issue the Decision Makers Guide chapter on Capital is 200 pages long.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• bro58
12 years 2 months ago #79699 by bro58
borkwen wrote:

I've had a letter saying I will be visited again by a compliance officer. He previously came into my home and caused me substantial stress due to his incompetence,
disrespect and threatening words. Am I obliged to see him, particularly as there is a tribunal hearing pending concerning the issue? Also, I am to see my MP about the matter (and about the behaviour of Jobcentre Plus) and I don't believe I should be forced to see a compliance officer until my MP has had a chance to be informed.
Any insight or advice gratefully received.

Hi B,

The subject matter of your posts is not really something that we can comment on due to the legalities and complexities of it.

I have merged both of your posts into one thread.

Please see this similar thread :

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/forum?func=vie...id=10&id=78933#78933

And :

Where to get advice?

bro58

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.