× Members

WRAG means tested what happens in years to come

More
12 years 3 months ago #80299 by ash
Sorry if this is covered in a guide but i could not find it. The scenario someone currently on IB is migrated to cESA and in WRAG means tested and not entitled to payment. What happens if they deteriorate and in years to come meet support group descriptors. I know the lords have made provision for those with deteriorating conditions to be allowed access to support group but this seemed to be focused on cancer. Prior to the lords debate Lord Freud was saying that people would not be entitled to entry to SG after a period of not being in the system as they would not have been paying NI contributions? U Any thoughts ideas on this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bro58
12 years 3 months ago #80311 by bro58
ash wrote:

Sorry if this is covered in a guide but i could not find it. The scenario someone currently on IB is migrated to cESA and in WRAG means tested and not entitled to payment. What happens if they deteriorate and in years to come meet support group descriptors. I know the lords have made provision for those with deteriorating conditions to be allowed access to support group but this seemed to be focused on cancer. Prior to the lords debate Lord Freud was saying that people would not be entitled to entry to SG after a period of not being in the system as they would not have been paying NI contributions? U Any thoughts ideas on this?

Hi A,

Please see :

Asset rule for ESA(IR)

This recently updated page :

12 Month Limit for ESA(CB)

Also :

24 hour work rule for ESA(IR)

The Welfare Reform Bill 2011

All above from our FAQ's in the yellow Spotlight Area above the forum.

If your query is not answered there please repost here.

bro58

More
12 years 3 months ago #80317 by DRAGON2009
Isnt it the caswe that the Support Group is accessible whether or not you are on contrib based or not. The whole point recently in the refdorm bill is that the SG protects those whose contrib based expires after 12 months as well as those who are not on contrib, because they satify a test of debility that means they should not be required to engage in work related activity

I do not think a new claimant, without contribs will be denied SG status on a contrib record alone

The cancer provision under discussion was to ensure that particular group would not face a means test / lose benefit which applied to 'normal' ESA cases on contrib based

More
12 years 3 months ago #80329 by lindat
they would not be entitled Ash unless the Lords ammendments stand. :S :( :angry:

More
12 years 3 months ago #80350 by Gordon
XFACTOR

The Welfare Reform Bill as originally worded, has no exemptions to the 365 day limit of ESA(CB) when in the WRAG. Even if a claimant was currently in the Support Group, they would still lose their entitlement to ESA(CB) and as Ash said in their post, Lord Freud specifically stated that anyone subsequently qualifying for the SG would be denied.

See the following FAQ for a more detailed explanation.

12 Month Limit for ESA(CB)

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
12 years 3 months ago #80385 by ash
Thanks LindaT and Gordon, that is what I thought lets hope the lords amendment goes through however as my husband is blind and can't get into the support group I suppose we can only hope for an RTA or cancer to make a difference. These are bad times indeed!!! :( :(

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.