× Members

Time limit on ESA Medical form return - warning!

More
12 years 3 months ago #80446 by Lesley
For anyone in the process of returning their medical forms - please note that when returning in the supplied First Class envelope this does not mean it will be delivered to the correct department First Class. According to Jobcentre Plus today, it takes between 3-5 days for your report to get to the right section as the address on the envelope is the Benefits Sorting Office. That's why I fell foul of the 'not sending the form back in time' and ESA being stopped. Hoping to get the right decision to restart it but not going down without a fight. :( :angry:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bro58
12 years 3 months ago #80450 by bro58
Lesley wrote:

For anyone in the process of returning their medical forms - please note that when returning in the supplied First Class envelope this does not mean it will be delivered to the correct department First Class. According to Jobcentre Plus today, it takes between 3-5 days for your report to get to the right section as the address on the envelope is the Benefits Sorting Office. That's why I fell foul of the 'not sending the form back in time' and ESA being stopped. Hoping to get the right decision to restart it but not going down without a fight. :( :angry:

Hi L,

Have you been asked to show "Good Cause" for not returning your ESA50 by deadline, please see :

How long do I have to complete the ESA50?

Please note as you don't say when you had to return the form, if before October 2011, you may have had 6 weeks to return it.

Or are you making a fresh claim?

bro58

More
12 years 3 months ago #80460 by Lesley
Hi bro58 - was making a new claim and had until 23rd this month to return - posted it back on 19th figuring it being first class, well after the Christmas rush, no reason at all not to get there! Wrong! The main fact is that the 1st Class return is not quite as it seems and Jobcentre themselves admitted it might be a good idea to add a paragraph to the letter sending the form with the return date stating that if the form is not returned by (hypothetically 7 days maybe) ???? date, that the form may not arrive in time. Will see what happens in the next couple of days, have been promised a call to let me know if ESA50 has arrived anywhere - will update!

• bro58
12 years 3 months ago #80464 by bro58
Lesley wrote:

Hi bro58 - was making a new claim and had until 23rd this month to return - posted it back on 19th figuring it being first class, well after the Christmas rush, no reason at all not to get there! Wrong! The main fact is that the 1st Class return is not quite as it seems and Jobcentre themselves admitted it might be a good idea to add a paragraph to the letter sending the form with the return date stating that if the form is not returned by (hypothetically 7 days maybe) ???? date, that the form may not arrive in time. Will see what happens in the next couple of days, have been promised a call to let me know if ESA50 has arrived anywhere - will update!

Hi L,

As I have said you must show them "Good Cause".

If you have proof of posting, and posted it back 4 days before deadline, 1st class, you could argue that you took all reasonable steps, and should not be held responsible for any shortcomings regarding Royal Mail's service.

bro58

More
12 years 3 months ago #80468 by Lesley
Thanks for advice - they haven't officially asked for written 'Good Cause' from me yet; the guy at Jobcentre was writing an e-mail stating the circumstances on my behalf to the Decision Maker. Will follow up tomorrow.

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.