× Members

Severe Disability Premium

More
12 years 3 months ago #80896 by evaness
Severe Disability Premium was created by evaness
I have just heard that the Severe Disability Premium will be abolished under Universal Credit. Is this true?

I am currently on High Care DLA, live alone, and use the DLA to pay for a carer, even though it only covers a few hours a week.

If I lose SDP I will lose the ability to pay for Meals on Wheels and extra care hours in an emergency.

If someone lived with me, I would have more help for all the little things other people in a household can do and they could claim Attendance Allowance for doing it.

Live alone and we will lose what little extra help we can pay for.

Is this right?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 3 months ago #80904 by mangof
Replied by mangof on topic Re:Severe Disability Premium
I've found this link to a discussion about it. But it is a discussion from last year and maybe not up to date. It seems to suggest that there would be an extra premium for people in the support group (but not wrag group) of esa instead of SDP.

www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/1200/#4736

I'm not a moderator though and am unsure of the information I am linking to. It could be wrong or out of date.

More
12 years 3 months ago #80909 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Re:Severe Disability Premium
evaness

I have to admit that this is an area that has had little press and that we appear to have overlooked.

The Welfare Reform Bill, which enables Universal Credit is not yet law, and it is still not clear how it will be operated, so the following may still be subject to change.

From what I can find, there will no premiums with Universal Credit, the intention seems to be to make up the difference through higher rates for the support component (not to be confused with ESA Support Group).

However, comments on other sites would suggest that the total payable, in this particular example, will be less than those currently received.

There is some suggestion that there will be Transitional Protection for claimants being transferred, but I haven't seen this comfirmed anywhere.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
12 years 3 months ago #80910 by evaness
Replied by evaness on topic Re:Severe Disability Premium
Display name
Thanks for that. I have looked at it but as you say is not clear and possibly out of date, saying some provison may be made in Bill.

Do the Mods know what has hapened to Severe Disability Premium in the WR Bill?

More
12 years 3 months ago #80915 by evaness
Replied by evaness on topic Re:Severe Disability Premium
Thanks Gordon. (Just cross posted, sorry)

I know this affects comparatively few people but it does seem to have been overlooked in all the Welfare reform fights. I know some people who live alone like me are very worried, sepecially if we don't make it into the support group.

Moderators: GordonlatetrainBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.