× Members

PIP

More
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #82159 by Rachias
PIP was created by Rachias
I’m a bit out of touch re new PIP benefit and hope you can help! I am a carer (on the ‘care component’ side) for a chap who has severe problems with his feet and toes but he can walk unaided without a stick or wheelchair. Up to now he has been on higher rate mobility DLA because he cannot walk a short distance without experiencing pain, and this has got worse. (Awarded from 04 11 10 until 03 11 15). This enables him to run a car. From what I can see it looks as though PIP will not take into account pain on walking and he will lose this benefit. Is this right please?
Would you know in his case when he is likely to be assessed for PIP?
Thanks – I appreciate your help. Rachias.
Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 2 months ago #82161 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Re:PIP
Rachias

I can't find a link to the details, I'll post one when I have more time to look, but I can assure you that PIP will take into account limitations such as pain to a claimants ability to complete a task.

As to when to when your caree might be assessed, based on the current plans, I think it unlikely they will hear anything before 2014 and depending on how they manage the trasnfer, not until their planned renewal in 2015, although the latter is only speculation.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
More
12 years 2 months ago #82174 by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
Replied by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law) on topic Re:PIP
Rachias wrote:

I’m a bit out of touch re new PIP benefit and hope you can help! I am a carer (on the ‘care component’ side) for a chap who has severe problems with his feet and toes but he can walk unaided without a stick or wheelchair. Up to now he has been on higher rate mobility DLA because he cannot walk a short distance without experiencing pain, and this has got worse. (Awarded from 04 11 10 until 03 11 15). This enables him to run a car. From what I can see it looks as though PIP will not take into account pain on walking and he will lose this benefit. Is this right please?
Would you know in his case when he is likely to be assessed for PIP?
Thanks – I appreciate your help. Rachias.

Hi R,

Full updates to PIP are posted on the DWP website PIP

Regards.

Jim

PLEASE READ THE SPOTLIGHTS AREA OF THE FORUM REGULARLY, OTHERWISE YOU MAY MISS OUT ON IMPORTANT INFORMATION. Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
12 years 2 months ago #82250 by Rachias
Replied by Rachias on topic Re:PIP
Thank you Gordon and Jim for your replies.
The reason I was querying mobility with pain taken into account is because under the PIP mobility points system there doesn’t seem to be any provision for someone experiencing severe pain on walking more than 50 metres as there is now under DLA.
Unless a car comes under ‘aid or appliance’. A lot of people currently on DLA rely on their cars to get around to avoid the pain of walking and it seems that they may no longer qualify for that DLA mobility benefit. I wonder if any others have this same concern?
Or maybe I've misunderstood the points system.

More
12 years 2 months ago #82254 by chrissy v
Replied by chrissy v on topic Re:PIP
It also begs the question what would happen if you had not long taken lease of a motability vehicle which is 3 years, what would happen if you did,nt win the PIP assessment.

Chrissy V

More
12 years 2 months ago #82265 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Re:PIP
Rachias

Remember the current descriptors are only the second iteration of the consultation process, so there is still an opportunity for them to be changed.

I too noticed the gap between the walking descriptors and the wheelchair ones, however, whether this is a "hole" in the entitlement, or a poorly worded bridge between the two has yet to be seen.

The consultation is still open, when I have more time I will post a link, so you can comment on it you wish.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.