× Members

esa and mortgage

• elainecass
  • Topic Author
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #82331 by elainecass
esa and mortgage was created by elainecass
Hi I am filling in initiak esa1 form and they are asking was my mortgage taken out before 1995. Does anyone know the relevance of that question as at the moment I am having difficulty rembering when it was and wondered why that question is asked

Elainecass
Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 2 months ago #82337 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Re:esa and mortgage
Elaine

I found the following, which seems to explain it.

For those who took out a mortgage before 2nd Oct 1995, the state income support to qualify borrowers kicks in after eight weeks of claiming and is worth 50% of the interest for the next 18 weeks and 100% after that date. If you took out your current mortgage before October 1995, you should qualify for much more generous help with your mortgage payments from the state should you become unable to work.

For mortgages taken out after 2nd Oct 1995 the borrower gets no help with interest payments for the first nine months of making a claim.

A borrower whose existing mortgage arrangements predates October 1995 risks losing their right to the more generous state income support terms if they remortgage for a larger loan from a new lender.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
12 years 2 months ago #82342 by sally-jane
Replied by sally-jane on topic Re:esa and mortgage
I took out a mortgage in March 1996,and was retired from work in 1999 and begun life on IIB/IB/DLA lr.
No help with mortgage or interest payments as no such benefits available for a single house owner. I have had to pay it all myself out of the benefits listed. In 200+4 I received an insurance payment from the RTA /Accident at work from the person who caused the accident.It was a payout without it going to court. It enabled me to pay of the mortgage, that was the payout in total. Subsequently I took out another mortgage to help my living situation,outstanding of £5000.Never received any help for any mortgage or interest or council tax and have alwayd had to pay for it all.
Wss informed only help available to those who were in receipt of Income Support or Job Seekers etc since the changes beginning in 1996.

More
12 years 2 months ago #82346 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Re:esa and mortgage
pusscatsmum

Mortgage assistance is only available to claimants receiving an Income Based benefit, IB, IIB, and DLA do not fall into this category.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #82348 by sally-jane
Replied by sally-jane on topic Re:esa and mortgage
Thought so, many thanks.
Could not understand this when said all that time ago as I had less income than those on some of the income based benefits, but hey that was what it was. I managed just.as I suppose others did
Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by Gordon.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.