× Members

SDA confusion - pls help

More
12 years 1 month ago #82751 by Crazydiamond
Replied by Crazydiamond on topic Re:SDA confusion - pls help
If your reference to SDA in your post is the severe disability premium (SDP), as you no longer receive Income Support you will not be entitled to this premium.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Sorted125
  • Topic Author
12 years 1 month ago #82816 by Sorted125
Replied by Sorted125 on topic Re:SDA confusion - pls help
Hi

Sorry to bother you again.

I amnow confused with SDA and SDP.
I cannot remember if the DWP said I need to make a claim for SDA or SDP.

When my income support was stopped, please may I ask, should I have still been getting SDA or SDP?

Sorry to be a nuiscance, I just get really confused.

kind regards

More
12 years 1 month ago #82820 by Crazydiamond
Replied by Crazydiamond on topic Re:SDA confusion - pls help
Since April 2001 new claims to Severe Disablement Allowance (SDA) are no longer possible, and as it appears that you are not entitled to IS, you cannot be paid the severe disability premium.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
12 years 1 month ago #82823 by carruthers
Replied by carruthers on topic Re:SDA confusion - pls help
I apologise if this is all clear to you already. I'm just expanding what CrazyDiamond said (because I do know what it's like not being able to get your head round things!)

It seems as though you are mixing up two different things.

1] Severe Disability Premium (SDP)

This is a top-up to Income Support. This means that as soon as you stop getting Income Support, you will stop getting the top-up as well.

Income Support is for people who are not in receipt of other benefits - including sickness and disability benefits - and who do not have a significant income from other sources, such as a pension.

2] Severe Disability Allowance (SDA)

This is a separate benefit. They stopped giving new awards of SDA about 10 years ago, but kept on paying it to folks like me who were awarded it back in the 80s and 90s.

People qualified for SDA if they were unable to work and met some other rather specific conditions. It has no bearing on how much income they have.

If you have been looking at material about Severe Disablement Allowance and thinking that it applied to the Severe Disability Premium (or vice versa) which topped up your Income Support then you may have got some mixed messages.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.