× Members

Assessment rate ESA

• Lyn
  • Topic Author
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #83174 by Lyn
Assessment rate ESA was created by Lyn
Does assessment rate ESA (CB) get reduced if you are in receipt of a pension?
Last edit: 12 years 1 month ago by slugsta.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 1 month ago #83176 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic Re:Assessment rate ESA
The first £85 of a pension is disregarded, then you lose 50p ESA for every £1 of pension thereafter. I think this applies to the assessment rate too.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
12 years 1 month ago #83177 by sally-jane
Replied by sally-jane on topic Re:Assessment rate ESA
Is this £85 a week or what.
I receive a pension for £98 per month

More
12 years 1 month ago #83178 by Gareth56
Replied by Gareth56 on topic Re:Assessment rate ESA
In that case you'll be well under the threshold. It's £85 per week. Incidentally the last labour government wanted to set the threshold at £50 per week but there was an outcry so Bliar and his mob upped it to £85 per week.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
More
12 years 1 month ago #83179 by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
Replied by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law) on topic Re:Assessment rate ESA
ESA is not one of the benefits I'm up-to-date with since I retired. I normally deal with DLA/AA and appeals at present.

However, I seem to recall that for Contribution Based ESA, any pension income over £85 a week is taken into account and the ESA is reduced by 50% of the weekly sum over £85 ( as was the case with Incapacity Benefit)

If I'm wrong, one of the other moderators more 'au fait' with ESA will correct me.

PLEASE READ THE SPOTLIGHTS AREA OF THE FORUM REGULARLY, OTHERWISE YOU MAY MISS OUT ON IMPORTANT INFORMATION. Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
12 years 1 month ago #83181 by Gareth56
Replied by Gareth56 on topic Re:Assessment rate ESA
It's gratifying to think that some of us are in the 50% tax bracket. :laugh:

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.