× Members

Carers allowance or Severe disability??

• sam611
  • Topic Author
12 years 4 weeks ago #83367 by sam611
Hi All
I have just been awarded DLA higher rate mobility and middle rate care. I havee had a letter from DWP about claiming for Severe Disability Premium which I have never heard of. I dont know whether I should claim this or Carers Allowance? What is the difference? Do I claim both? Newly disabled so this is all very confusing and would be grateful for some pointers and advice.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bro58
12 years 4 weeks ago - 12 years 4 weeks ago #83369 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic Re:Carers allowance or Severe disability??
sam611 wrote:

Hi All
I have just been awarded DLA higher rate mobility and middle rate care. I havee had a letter from DWP about claiming for Severe Disability Premium which I have never heard of. I dont know whether I should claim this or Carers Allowance? What is the difference? Do I claim both? Newly disabled so this is all very confusing and would be grateful for some pointers and advice.

Hi S611,

Severe Disability Premium,(SDP), and Carers Allowance,(CA) are totally seperate things.

See this link on SDP :

www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople/Fina...AndSupport/DG_068683

As you can see you may be entitled to the SDP, as you are in receipt of MRC of DLA.

It is not a payment as such, being entitled to the SDP, basically means that the amount that the government states that you need to live on, rises.

You may be entitled to the full amount, however this will depend on your personal circumstances, any pension, income, savings or assets, etc.

See this thread also and the associated links therein :

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/forum?func=vie...id=10&id=82758#82758

CA, is paid to another person who provides care for you.

This is however not a straightforward issue, and may depend on any other benefits, if applicable, that the other person receives, see :

www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits...rsomeone/DG_10012529

Hope this helps.

bro58
Last edit: 12 years 4 weeks ago by bro58.

More
12 years 4 weeks ago #83373 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Re:Carers allowance or Severe disability??
sam611 wrote:

Hi All

You need to get face to face advice from your local CAB or Welfare Rights office.

Assuming that you are eligible for the Severe Disability Premium and are also in receipt of an entitling benefit such as ESA(IR) or IS, then you will receive an extra payment.

Alternatively, someone else can claim Carers Allowance for providing you with 35 hours/week care.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.