× Members

Need clarification on ESA time-limit

More
12 years 3 weeks ago - 12 years 3 weeks ago #83791 by BonnyBunny
Need clarification on ESA time-limit was created by BonnyBunny
Could somebody please help me? My husband received the dreaded brown envelope this morning transferring him from IB to WRAG, but it appears in two places as if the length of time he can receive the ESA payments is shorter than the year we thought he would get.

In the letter to him it says the payments apply "from 11 april 2012 to 27 November 2012" which is just 7 months; and in the accompanying booklet INF1 (JSA) it says "we can pay this for up to 182 days" which is even less.

This strikes terror into our hearts, because neither of us can work and it looks like we have around six months before over half our monthly income is axed. Or, is it a year?

I read the FAQ but it didn't help me. Please comment.
Last edit: 12 years 3 weeks ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #83796 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Re:Need clarification on ESA time-limit
BB

It is not unsual for an award letter for ESA to state a date that is not connected to the length of an award, the favourite ones used are April and November, so I would ignore the dates referenced in this letter.

The pamphlet you are referencing is discussing JSA and not ESA, so this is not relevant.

The 365 day period starts from your husbands Effective Date of Transfer, which should have been notified to you in writing, it is the date that payments on his IB claim ceased.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• bro58
12 years 3 weeks ago #83798 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic Re:Need clarification on ESA time-limit
BonnyBunny wrote:

Could somebody please help me? My husband received the dreaded brown envelope this morning transferring him from IB to WRAG, but it appears in two places as if the length of time he can receive the ESA payments is shorter than the year we thought he would get.

In the letter to him it says the payments apply "from 11 april 2012 to 27 November 2012" which is just 7 months; and in the accompanying booklet INF1 (JSA) it says "we can pay this for up to 182 days" which is even less.

This strikes terror into our hearts, because neither of us can work and it looks like we have around six months before over half our monthly income is axed. Or, is it a year?

I read the FAQ but it didn't help me. Please comment.

Hi BB,

It does not mention the actual length of the ESA award in the decision letter.

The dates used in the ESA award decision letter, are generally for admin purposes.

There should be a date from which the WRAG award starts in the letter.

On the understanding that his WRAG award is for 12 months (365 days) or longer, he should receive the Contributary ESA in the WRAG for 365 days.

The only way to find out the length of his WRAG award, (Prognosis), is to request the ESA85, if he had a medical, or the ESA85A if he didn't, either of these forms should include his "prognosis".

See :

ESA Forms

&

ESA medical – what forms to ask for?

The above forms can be requested from the address of the benefits office on the ESA WRAG award letter.

See also :

12 Month Limit for ESA(CB) Updated 10/03/12

12 Month Limit for ESA(CB) – Implementation New

bro58

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.