× Members

ESA and recovery from mental health issues

More
12 years 3 days ago - 12 years 3 days ago #84954 by pikelet
Hi all

Haven't posted in a long time, just thought I would share this.

My ESA(CB) was renewed on a paper review in 2010, with a review date of April 12 2012. My ESA50 turned up, and as I clearly no longer fit the descriptors I filled it in saying that as far as I could tell, they would find me fit for work. My ESA stops anyway on 30th April under the new rules. I'll be OK for money, so it's not a problem, even though I don't think I'm well enough to look for a job (although will try to do bits and bobs on a freelance basis if I can).

I now have an ATOS medical scheduled on 26th April, as I have a diagnosis of bi-polar (but psychiatrist has discharged me to GP) I suppose this is good, as they can check me out for mania. In a CAB report on ESA in the early days, there was a case cited where a manic patient turned up at his psychiatrist waving his decision letter, and saying 'See, I told you there was nothing the matter with me'

I'm still doing mh involvement work, still read Benefits and Work, and trying to get the truth out to Health care professionals about what the Welfare Reforms mean to their patients - basically, that if they do things to help their recovery, they'll be found fit for work, and will have £25 less a week, so won't be able to do so much to help with their own recovery...

All the best to everybody
pikelet
Last edit: 12 years 3 days ago by slugsta.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.