× Members

Decision maker error

More
11 years 11 months ago #86344 by Mrs Moon
Decision maker error was created by Mrs Moon
I was put in the ESA Support Group in October 2011, transferred from income support. I did not have to attend a medical.

I wrote straight away to ask for the decision maker's statement of reasons as I wanted a copy for my records. I was sent a medical report ESA85A in which the healthcare professional put me in the WRAG group and advised "a return to work could be considered in 12 months". They didn't send me a statement of reasons (I'll call this an SOR), in my case the decision maker(DM)seems to have overruled the nurse to put me in the support group.

I wrote again in January to request an SOR. There was no response. I wrote again in April. Today 11th May I received a long letter from a DM. She writes that "the original DM was in error in placing you in the support group against the advice of the healthcare professional" and she has revised the decision and put me in the WRAG and "if there is any doubt on the part of the considering DM as to the appropriateness of the advice given by the HP then the case should be referred to a DM who makes considerative decisions" ... "it is not clear whether the placing you in the support group was in error or intentional"..."if the original DM believed the advice given was inappropriate then the decision should have been passed to a considerative decision maker".She says "there was no SOR that could be sent to you in respect of the original decision".

So because a DM didn't follow proper procedure then am I placed in the WRAG without my claim being passed to a considerative decision maker? Why can't it be passed on now?

I don't know whether to appeal or not as I fear losing even the WRAG.I don't think I scored enough points but assume I come under the exceptional circumstance that "there would be a substantial risk to the mental/physical health of any person if you were found not to have limited capability for work (related activity)" due to my mental health condion. I also assume that this was why the original DM placed me in the support group. These are just my assumptions, I have no evidence for this. Is there a chance I could even lose the WRAG and end up on JSA if I appeal?

I've also just been sent another ESA questionnaire. I have kept copies of my original claim and will just send in a replica if I have to as my condition has not changed. But do I still have to fill it in if I decide to appeal this decision?

I wouldn't know where to turn without this website so thank you to everyone involved at Benefits and Work.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #86345 by Crazydiamond
Replied by Crazydiamond on topic Re:Decision maker error
What appears to have happened in you case is that unfortunately having requested form ESA85A which is entirely your prerogative, this has initiated a revision of the original ESA decision placing you in the support group.

I have not come across the term "considerative decision maker" which is hardly surprising as the word considerative does not exist in the English language, but what appears to have happened in your case is that a second more senior decision maker has revised the support group status on the grounds of a mistake as to a material fact, and placed you in the WRAG.

It is noted that you are unsure that you will appeal the decision due to the impact that it may have on your WRAG status, but should you choose to appeal, if the letter you have received does not carry the statutory right of appeal, it should have done so as there has now been a change of position. However, this communication which clearly carries a revision of the original decision should be treated as a means to appeal if you decide upon this option? In this respect see:-

How to submit an appeal.

Is there any risk to challenging a decision?

You will have to complete the ESA50 pending the outcome of any impending appeal, but there are far too many unanswered questions in your case. Regrettably, in order to fully clarify what has actually happened in your particular circumstances, an appeal may be the only way to conclusively find out why you were removed from the support group and subsequently placed in the WRAG?

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 11 years 11 months ago by Crazydiamond. Reason: Additional info.

More
11 years 11 months ago #86346 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Re:Decision maker error
Nellie

I have not heard of a situation exactly like this before although there was a somewhat similar case about a year ago, so I am not faniliar with the DWP procedures in these circumstances and therefore cannot comment.

It seems to me that given the ATOS recommendation was for the WRAG and there has been, what I assume, a rigorous examination of your case by this second Decision Maker, your placement in the WRAG should be secure, although nothing is ever absolute.

The ATOS medical report should give you some indication of why you were recommended for the WRAG, and this would be the place to start if you are considering an appeal.

Our ESA Appeal guide is available on the following link

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/esa

You should also have a look at the following FAQs

Is there any risk to challenging a decision?

How long do I have to appeal?

How to submit an appeal

Qualifying for the Support Group

12 Month Limit for ESA(CB)

Do I have to attend WFIs while I appeal?

With regard your new assessment, obviously you must complete this. If you believe that you qualified under the Exceptional Circumstances, then simply re-presenting the contents of your previous ESA50 may not be sufficient, as you will need to provide up to date evidence to support this position.

I believe there may be an issue of overpayment covering the difference between the WRAG rate and the Support Group rate, as the error appears to be the fault of the DWP, you should not be liable for payment, but this is unlikely to stop them "suggesting" that you should do so. You should seek face to face advice, if this occurs.

You may wish to make a complaint to the DWP, see the following FAQ

Complaining to the DWP

Pleas come back to the forum if you have further questions.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
11 years 11 months ago #86348 by Crazydiamond
Replied by Crazydiamond on topic Re:Decision maker error
Gordon wrote:

I believe there may be an issue of overpayment covering the difference between the WRAG rate and the Support Group rate, as the error appears to be the fault of the DWP, you should not be liable for payment, but this is unlikely to stop them "suggesting" that you should do so. You should seek face to face advice, if this occurs.

As there is no question of a failure to disclose or misrepresentation under the terms of Section 71(1) of the Social Security Administration Act 1992 (SSAA 1992), there are no grounds to recover what amounts to an official error overpayment. See:-

The Child Poverty Action Group (Respondent) v Secretary of State for Work and Pensions (Appellant).

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.