× Members

retirement age for incapacity benefit to ESA

More
12 years 2 days ago #86391 by denise
Hi
I am slightly confused by what is meant by retirement age regarding the transfer from incapacity benefit to ESA. I have read the guides and as it mentions that anyone reaching retirement age by 2014 will not be assessed for ESA. My birth date is 2nd December 1951 and I am on DLA high rate and incapacity benefit. I have looked up my retirement date which is July 2013 when I will be 61 years and 7 months old.
But I have looked at the DLA to PIP assessment guides and they state that retirement age will be for anyone under 65 years old.
So would I be right in assuming that I won't be assessed for IB to ESA but will be assessed for DLA to PIP. If this is the case then why is it different?
Many thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pete17971
12 years 2 days ago - 12 years 2 days ago #86392 by pete17971
Replied by pete17971 on topic Re:retirement age for incapacity benefit to ESA
denise wrote:

Hi
I am slightly confused by what is meant by retirement age regarding the transfer from incapacity benefit to ESA. I have read the guides and as it mentions that anyone reaching retirement age by 2014 will not be assessed for ESA. My birth date is 2nd December 1951 and I am on DLA high rate and incapacity benefit. I have looked up my retirement date which is July 2013 when I will be 61 years and 7 months old.
But I have looked at the DLA to PIP assessment guides and they state that retirement age will be for anyone under 65 years old.
So would I be right in assuming that I won't be assessed for IB to ESA but will be assessed for DLA to PIP. If this is the case then why is it different?
Many thanks

Hi,

Yes it is entirely possible to be technically 'retired' for IB/ESA purposes but not reached the final age for DLA.

The reasons maybe many fold. In legislation the DLA regs do give a fixed date of 65 whereas it is not so clearly defined in IB/ESA regs. This maybe due to the fact that IB/ESA is classed as an 'income replacement' benefit - thus replacing income from working, during ones 'working life'. DLA is a benefit that can be claimed either in or out of work - thus 'retirement' does not really affect DLA. However governments past deemed 64 years 364 days as the latest qualification date.

Pete
Last edit: 12 years 2 days ago by pete17971.

• rambo23
12 years 2 days ago #86395 by rambo23
hi
i was born 1953 and got transfered from IB to ESA but on my letter from the jobcentre plus it said i was put into the WRAG,had my interview over phone,was told as i am limited capability for work,i would not be put forward for work.as i retire in 5 yrs,i am on DLA high rate,but ive read that all on DLA will be assessed for DLA to PIP,and all on IB will be assessed for ESA.

More
12 years 2 days ago #86396 by chrissy v
Replied by chrissy v on topic Re: retirement age for incapacity benefit to ESA
I was born 1953 also but iv,e got just under 6 years to retirement, but i,m still waiting the outcome from my assessment, wishing i had been born earlier now i,m going through all this

CV

More
12 years 2 days ago #86398 by mcintosh
Hi Rambo, i also was born in 1953 and am still awaiting to be transferred to esa from ib. My review date was dec 2011, but as yet have heard nothing. Does you letter mean that you will not have to go for wfi's ? The waiting is the worst.

More
12 years 2 days ago #86399 by mcintosh
did either rambo or chrissy have to have medical or just paper assessment ?

Thanks

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.