× Members

Electric wheelchair & ESA mobility descriptor

• Aladinsane
11 years 9 months ago - 11 years 9 months ago #87827 by Aladinsane
Replied by Aladinsane on topic Re:Electric wheelchair & ESA mobility descriptor
I have to agree with Gordon and Chrissy, the regs state quite clearly that it is a question of being able to mobilise for 50m by the use of a manualy propelled wheelchair.

In order for the HCP/DM to decide on this question they would consider the claimant's ability to use one or both there arms and although I am speculating here I do have the feeling they may cross refence information from the ESA50/ESA50A and any face to face assesment you may have had or not had, in order to make a decision on the claimant's functional ability regarding,use of either one or both of thier arms.
Last edit: 11 years 9 months ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 9 months ago - 11 years 9 months ago #87882 by shrinathji
Replied by shrinathji on topic Re:Electric wheelchair & ESA mobility descriptor
I think inorder to propel a manual wheelchair one would have to use both arms inorder to do this repeatedly,reliably and most important of all safely.

However, when it comes to Atos and DWP anything goes as long as they can find a loophole to find
one fit to work!!!!

Radhika.

• canttrusthesystem
  • Topic Author
More
11 years 9 months ago - 11 years 9 months ago #87890 by canttrusthesystem
Replied by canttrusthesystem on topic Re:Electric wheelchair & ESA mobility descriptor
Thanks Aladinsane and Radhika for your input. I feel much more confident now that I can pursue the possibility of the NHS electric wheelchair. The reason I may be able to get an electric one on the NHS is because I can't self-propel anyway, so that should support my case too.

I know exactly what you mean about the loopholes, Radhika - that's why I wanted to know what other people with DWP experience thought!

I've been quietly using the guides on here for a few years now, and found them excellent, and I'm glad I've come to the forum too. Thanks for the help.

Good wishes
Last edit: 11 years 9 months ago by slugsta.

• canttrusthesystem
  • Topic Author
More
11 years 9 months ago - 11 years 9 months ago #87895 by canttrusthesystem
Replied by canttrusthesystem on topic Re:Electric wheelchair & ESA mobility descriptor
PS Thanks too, Chrissy!

More
11 years 9 months ago - 11 years 9 months ago #87897 by shrinathji
Replied by shrinathji on topic Re:Electric wheelchair & ESA mobility descriptor
Like I said. Repeatedly, reliably and most important of all SAFELY.
I must say the above i learnt fron the ESA guide on this great site and what a great help the above three words are to ones claim!!!! Use them where ever you can on the form to fight you corner.

Good Luck.
Radhika.

• canttrusthesystem
  • Topic Author
More
11 years 9 months ago - 11 years 9 months ago #87899 by canttrusthesystem
Cheers, Radhika, I've made myself a specific note of that.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.