× Members

ESA assessment of a Neurological Condition

• MissPink
  • Topic Author
11 years 8 months ago #90936 by MissPink
Hello
I understand that the face to face WCA meeting must be conducted by a Doctor for certain conditions; neurological conditions such as ME being one of them.
My question is - what if the pre-board check by ATOS has been carried out by a nurse? for someone in these categories?

Is this within the rules? Or do the rules on Doctors being required to carry out certain WCA's not apply to the initial check of the ESA50?

Also - where can I find a difinitive list of the conditions that a Doctor, rather than some other kind of HCP must assess?
Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 8 months ago #90937 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic Re:ESA assessment of a Neurological Condition
Hi MissPink, I don't think we have yet found a definitive list of those conditions that warrant assessment by a Doc. As far as I am aware, it doesn't matter what type of HCP does the pre-board check.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
11 years 8 months ago - 11 years 8 months ago #90939 by DRAGON2009
Replied by DRAGON2009 on topic Re:ESA assessment of a Neurological Condition
There are rules about what a doctor is required to assess or in the case of nurses, ones with neurological training. I just can't remember where I saw the list, but it was for examinations not pre board
For example, as I recall Blls Palsy had to be a doctor examining.
Last edit: 11 years 8 months ago by slugsta.

• bro58
11 years 8 months ago #90940 by bro58
Hi MP,

Here is the ATOS website, if you want to check it out :

www.atoshealthcare.com/claimants/during_your_assessment

bro58

More
11 years 8 months ago - 11 years 8 months ago #91054 by carruthers
Replied by carruthers on topic Re:ESA assessment of a Neurological Condition
You might find some help in the posts in this thread on the Freedom of Information site, "What Do They Know"

www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/decisions..._wca#outgoing-215418

There are pdf files which can be downloaded (though note that the first one is usually just an acknowledgement, and some others may be just acknowledgements of "hurry up" notices) which in this case do include lists of what should be covered by a doctor.

There's a long annotation pointing out that someone else who asked the same question received a somewhat different answer.

You may also care to notice that ME/CFS does not appear on that list. It's status is decidedly ambiguous - the DWP has said that it does not have ME/CFS on the list, since it only involves a "complex neurological condition" occasionally. There's a lot more murky water still to be plumbed before we can get ATOS/DWP to admit the real rules.
Last edit: 11 years 8 months ago by slugsta.

More
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #110833 by nick h.
Replied by nick h. on topic Re:ESA assessment of a Neurological Condition
Carruthers, can you point me to the source of that DWP statement about CFS being a complex neurological condition occasionally? I want to find out the current position on what makes a CFS case worthy of a doctor at the WCA. I feel some guidance is needed for CFS patients on how to ensure they get a doctor. I can't find anything very helpful - maybe I haven't searched effectively enough.
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by Gordon.

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.