× Members

Re: voluntary work and transferring on to ESA

More
11 years 8 months ago #91597 by angelcake
Hi,
I've been on long-term incapacity benefit and I'm yet to transfer onto ESA. My review was supposed to be last October and I'm dreading it everday coming anytime now.

If that wasn't enough terrified of having to go through the whole distressing complicated process I have another related issue that I could do with some technical advice on, please.

The thing is although I have long-term health problems, if possible I'm wanting to do some voluntary for my emotional health.

I have been offered something but I'm terrified that I could be bringing on a whole load of problems for me, at a precarious time that any time now I could be hauled in for the ESA transfer.

Also the issue of me having to let them know about any potential voluntary work may well trigger my ESA transfer especially considering it is over due.

I've had a look at the ESA mannual at the descriptors
and some of them that I think descirbe my condition could potentially be thrown out of the water if I do the voluntary work -could I get some advice on this? In particular, if you do voluntary work does it automatically mean that you cannot be in the support group and they put you in the wrag group??

For example, due to my condition going out alone does affect me,my condition can be variable and also the issue of reliabilty very much describes how I can be affected - not being able to predict how I will be from one day to the next and can also go through very bad periods. I'm not even sure how I would get on with the voluntary work due to the issues I'm mentioning but I wanted to give it a try on a very low level commitment.

The thing is I'm terrified of putting my benefit in jeopardy, although I'd like to do the voluntary stuff, I'm not sure if I should hang fire and keep my head down and try and postpone the voluntary work until my ESA transfer is done with. Even then would I be recalled once the voluntary work is on my file?

I would be very grateful if somebody could give me some information and advice on how I could be potentially affected and what to do about it.

I have been stressing/avoiding about this that much, I've only just plucked up the courage to face this is on the forum
Many thanks

Angelcake

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bro58
11 years 8 months ago - 11 years 8 months ago #91600 by bro58
angelcake wrote:

Hi,
I've been on long-term incapacity benefit and I'm yet to transfer onto ESA. My review was supposed to be last October and I'm dreading it everday coming anytime now.

If that wasn't enough terrified of having to go through the whole distressing complicated process I have another related issue that I could do with some technical advice on, please.

The thing is although I have long-term health problems, if possible I'm wanting to do some voluntary for my emotional health.

I have been offered something but I'm terrified that I could be bringing on a whole load of problems for me, at a precarious time that any time now I could be hauled in for the ESA transfer.

Also the issue of me having to let them know about any potential voluntary work may well trigger my ESA transfer especially considering it is over due.

I've had a look at the ESA mannual at the descriptors
and some of them that I think descirbe my condition could potentially be thrown out of the water if I do the voluntary work -could I get some advice on this? In particular, if you do voluntary work does it automatically mean that you cannot be in the support group and they put you in the wrag group??

For example, due to my condition going out alone does affect me,my condition can be variable and also the issue of reliabilty very much describes how I can be affected - not being able to predict how I will be from one day to the next and can also go through very bad periods. I'm not even sure how I would get on with the voluntary work due to the issues I'm mentioning but I wanted to give it a try on a very low level commitment.

The thing is I'm terrified of putting my benefit in jeopardy, although I'd like to do the voluntary stuff, I'm not sure if I should hang fire and keep my head down and try and postpone the voluntary work until my ESA transfer is done with. Even then would I be recalled once the voluntary work is on my file?

I would be very grateful if somebody could give me some information and advice on how I could be potentially affected and what to do about it.

I have been stressing/avoiding about this that much, I've only just plucked up the courage to face this is on the forum
Many thanks

Angelcake

Hi ac,

From your post, it appears that you have weighed up the potential implications yourself.

You would have to inform the DWP, and any ATOS HCP carrying out your ESA WCA would be aware of any voluntary work that you may be doing.

See :

Permitted Work

I am afraid that it is a decision that only you can make.

bro58
Last edit: 11 years 8 months ago by bro58.

More
11 years 8 months ago #91603 by Gordon
AC

Just to add to what Bro58 has written, you also need to confirm that the voluntary work you are considering will actually be counted as such by the DWP, see our guide to volunteering on the following link.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/work

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
11 years 8 months ago #91611 by Derek4
Hi Anglecake

I think it is unlikely that informing the DWP of voluntary work would bring forward your transfer date, as these dates are largely governed by backlogs. Also, doing voluntary work does not exclude claimants from the support group.

I wouldn't want to put anybody off doing voluntary work but you should be aware (as you probably are) that no matter how low-level or therapeutic the voluntary work is, or how much difficulty you have attending/coping with the work, unfortunately it can sometimes be reduced to simply 'does voluntary work' on a medical report.

This may not always be the case but sadly it's yet another barrier claimants face when trying to improve their circumstances. Perhaps it would be worth seeking face-to-face advice if possible.

Good luck

Derek

More
11 years 8 months ago - 11 years 8 months ago #91667 by carruthers
Replied by carruthers on topic Re: voluntary work and transferring on to ESA
Angelcake,

It sounds as though you expect your E50 really soon. I know it can take ages to get from receiving your E50 to getting a decision.

Still, it might be worth your while seeing if the voluntary work could wait until after your assessment. You would know that it is in the pipeline, which might help your morale, but you would not have to tell the DWP anything about something you are thinking you might do in the future.

If there's any training involved, you might even try a little of that without doing the "proper" work. That too would allow you to stay in touch, without actually doing any of the stuff you have to declare.

You would have to be very careful about what you said in the WCA - but that's true anyway. (I think everyone should consider asking for their WCA to be recorded so that they can check afterwards what they said!)
Last edit: 11 years 8 months ago by slugsta.

More
11 years 8 months ago #91709 by angelcake
Replied by angelcake on topic Re: voluntary work and transferring on to ESA
Hi Derek,

Thanks very much for your reply is was really helpful!
I have some more questions if that's ok.

Sorry lots of questions and long post!

On the subject of my transfer date (which was supposed to be last Oct,which will mean this Oct it will be two years since my last assessment)not that I'm wanting to bring it on but to base my decision on the bigger picture and figure out what's going on. I'm presuming the delay is backlog? I can't see them leaving it more than two years and think maybe because I had been assessed in Oct 2010 that they might be leaving me as one of the last ones and assessing those who haven't been assessed for years - I really don't know.

I see that you say doing voluntary work does not exclude claimants from the support group which does reassure me somewhat. Is it possible I will be making life harder for myself if I choose to do the voluntary work in terms of getting into the support group? If I decide to/can delay this voluntary work to a better time say once I've got through the assessment - will this trigger an automatic review?

Also, on the subject of descriptors I've had a look at the ESA mannual at the descriptors and some of them that I think describe my condition. Would these descriptors potentially be invalidated if I do the voluntary work? For example, due to my condition going out alone does affect me,my condition can be variable and also the issue of reliabilty very much describes how I can be affected - not being able to predict how I will be from one day to the next and can also go through very bad periods. So could they argue because of the voluntary work this does not apply to me?

Finally who do you think it would be most helpful for me to get face-to-face help with?

Many thanks

Angelcake

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris