× Members

I no longer qualify for any aspect of DLA

• mairit
  • Topic Author
11 years 7 months ago #92316 by mairit
Hi All,

Was totally deflated when I received my outcome of the visit from the DLA doctor. I suffer from Fibromyalgia, Fecal incontinence, benign tremors, slight cognitive impairment and recently diagnosed as having rheumatoid arthritis. According to their conclusions, I can walk over 75 meters, at a normal speed and in a reasonable manner using suitable aids. I do not need help to avoid danger because of fits, dizzy spells, falls or blackouts.

How the doctor worked that lot out I can only surmise that through seeing me walk from the living room to the kitchen that I could do all of the above. I did explain to him that on the occasions that I have fallen, I have had to crawl on my hands and knees to a suitable ledge where I push myself up but where I do not have this option then I have to rely on the kindness of strangers or my son when he is with me ( now always with me). I also stated that on one occasion, I crossed the road which is near hand and less than 75 meters away, that I crossed and then realised that I had not looked to see if there was a car coming in either direction because I was intent in getting to the other side. I also read out the letter from the consultant in which she states the following : "If things get on top of you, then we will fit you with a colostomy bag". He asked me all the dates of being diagnosed with the above noted complaints and to be honest, I did get angry because I sent all the letters from my consultants giving the diagnosis etc The state that I can get out of a chair, yes indeed I can, in my living room, whilst leaning on the coffee table so that I can straighten up. I could go on and on...........now that I don't have a mobility allowance I will never leave my house again, perhaps, downstairs to the entrance but I can not walk to shops, chemist and any doctors surgery. I know that I have to appeal but I am not sure how to go about this can somebody please help me

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 7 months ago #92318 by Gordon
Mairit

Just to confirm, you have actually received a Decision on your claim, rather just a copy of the medical report?

On the assumption that you have, you should have a look at our DLA Appeal guides on the following link

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/dla/#dlaappeals

The following FAQs explain how to lodge an appeal.

How long do I have to appeal?

How to submit an appeal

You might also want have a look at our other FAQs on appealing

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/appeals-faq

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.