× Members

I no longer qualify for any aspect of DLA

• mairit
  • Topic Author
11 years 7 months ago #92316 by mairit
Hi All,

Was totally deflated when I received my outcome of the visit from the DLA doctor. I suffer from Fibromyalgia, Fecal incontinence, benign tremors, slight cognitive impairment and recently diagnosed as having rheumatoid arthritis. According to their conclusions, I can walk over 75 meters, at a normal speed and in a reasonable manner using suitable aids. I do not need help to avoid danger because of fits, dizzy spells, falls or blackouts.

How the doctor worked that lot out I can only surmise that through seeing me walk from the living room to the kitchen that I could do all of the above. I did explain to him that on the occasions that I have fallen, I have had to crawl on my hands and knees to a suitable ledge where I push myself up but where I do not have this option then I have to rely on the kindness of strangers or my son when he is with me ( now always with me). I also stated that on one occasion, I crossed the road which is near hand and less than 75 meters away, that I crossed and then realised that I had not looked to see if there was a car coming in either direction because I was intent in getting to the other side. I also read out the letter from the consultant in which she states the following : "If things get on top of you, then we will fit you with a colostomy bag". He asked me all the dates of being diagnosed with the above noted complaints and to be honest, I did get angry because I sent all the letters from my consultants giving the diagnosis etc The state that I can get out of a chair, yes indeed I can, in my living room, whilst leaning on the coffee table so that I can straighten up. I could go on and on...........now that I don't have a mobility allowance I will never leave my house again, perhaps, downstairs to the entrance but I can not walk to shops, chemist and any doctors surgery. I know that I have to appeal but I am not sure how to go about this can somebody please help me

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 7 months ago #92318 by Gordon
Mairit

Just to confirm, you have actually received a Decision on your claim, rather just a copy of the medical report?

On the assumption that you have, you should have a look at our DLA Appeal guides on the following link

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/dla/#dlaappeals

The following FAQs explain how to lodge an appeal.

How long do I have to appeal?

How to submit an appeal

You might also want have a look at our other FAQs on appealing

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/appeals-faq

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris