× Members

Not too sure of what too do

More
11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #94252 by John Doe
Replied by John Doe on topic Re:Not too sure of what too do
Ah, I understand but is it truly a question of legal eligibility?

Anyway, as mentioned previously she does acknowledge some of my difficulties and particularly with regards to my "slowness" and lack of motivation, the difficulty of emotional attacks, anxiety attacks and of myself frequently hearing voices. However, I was initially diagnosed of Psychosis but this diagnosis was eventually disagreed - without my awareness, so it seems that I'm without a proper diagnosis other than the fact that there are mental difficulties frequently encountered.

There mental inhibitions that do restrain my ability to properly discuss my issues, and I believe it may of been influenced from an improper experience with a key worker when they attempted to coerce me into accepting injections of an anti-psychotic that would last for several months. Not to mention the possibility of them coming to my home at a certain time to ensure that I'm taking "medication". Unfortunately, I'm not necessarily willing to take anti-psychotics/depressants albeit at the time I found myself with great difficulty in trying to get through the situation of injections -- I was unsure of what to do or how to confront them on the issue. I am however most willing to undergo proper therapy and counseling, and willing to consider every possible form of advice given.

In my medical records it states that I accepted the discharged and I do remember that it was a time at which I felt emotionally stable and productive. However, unfortunately it was shortly thereafter that I encountered a heavy emotional attack that brought me to my knees and left me quite unstable for the proceeding months. It is during these times that I feel I need support and it was this year when I was hit with yet another attack that I realized that some type of mobile support would be needed. I don't have a next of kin available either, so I'm on my own when these occur. I do believe my doctor is aware of this too.

Lastly, I've just received a letter from the DWP today stating that they're awaiting contact with my doctor to discuss my claim. It was her emphasis that these difficulties won't necessarily prevent me from working that bothered me most -- and I trusted that she understood that they could. I tried discussing this with her last week before the first letter arrived during an appointment and emphasized that their debilitating effects could cause this and that my concern would be of a lack of a safety net to prevent myself from falling into some mode of poverty from a lack of income/inability to work. She also said that I should just try to learn to live with GID -- the problem with this is that her response emphasizes her lack of appreciation of its impact. It is not easy to cope with and I did try to elucidate the fact of its difficulty further by stating that the emotional attacks are not something I decide consciously and that they arise unconsciously, attacking my emotional stability. She understood this and further elaborated by saying that one can't just simply stop themselves from having an anxiety attack. However, I do think a problem with the difficulty of GID is such that most professionals may only consider it from a surface perspective and conclude that identity conflicts are not a dire concern (despite the fact that it can and does cause suicide/severe self-harm). I appreciate this may be the reason -- she has questioned the impact from time to time during my visits to appointments but perhaps it's her not knowing the impact from professionals who do understand its impact. Eventually, the discussion ended with her wanting to avoid it -- she stated that she didn't want to get into an "argument" and found herself somewhat confused with regards to how my inputs didn't pertain to an eligibility of disability benefit. She did however admit that it's ultimately the decision of the DWP, however my ultimate concern is of whether she will support my claim -- it is that appointment that espoused my fear of the claim being rejected if she doesn't properly appreciate my difficulties. I could just be worrying too much but with all these cuts shrinking the criteria for disabilities it doesn't help with relaxing a concern of eligibility.

Apologies for this being a lengthy post -- I thought it would be best if I were to append as much relevant information as possible.
Last edit: 11 years 7 months ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 7 months ago #94256 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Re:Not too sure of what too do
JD

We're really not in a position to offer advice as to how your GP sees your condition(s), and whether they are correct or not in stating that they should not be a barrier to you working (assuming that this is even relevant).

I note from an earlier post, you asked if their offering a different view from your own could impact on any benefit award you are seeking, potentially yes! Is there anything practical you can do about it? You can continue to try and explain how you are effected, I think you are trying to claim DLA, so you can try and explain yourself in the context of your care needs, failing that you could look to change GP's, either within your current surgery, or another one, however, whilst this may solve your long term issues it is unlikely to have any significant effect on the immediate ones.

Beyond this, I really don't know what to suggest.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• bro58
11 years 7 months ago #94257 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic Re:Not too sure of what too do
John Doe wrote:

Ah, I understand but is it truly a question of legal eligibility?

Anyway, as mentioned previously she does acknowledge some of my difficulties and particularly with regards to my "slowness" and lack of motivation, the difficulty of emotional attacks, anxiety attacks and of myself frequently hearing voices. However, I was initially diagnosed of Psychosis but this diagnosis was eventually disagreed - without my awareness, so it seems that I'm without a proper diagnosis other than the fact that there are mental difficulties frequently encountered.

There mental inhibitions that do restrain my ability to properly discuss my issues, and I believe it may of been influenced from an improper experience with a key worker when they attempted to coerce me into accepting injections of an anti-psychotic that would last for several months. Not to mention the possibility of them coming to my home at a certain time to ensure that I'm taking "medication". Unfortunately, I'm not necessarily willing to take anti-psychotics/depressants albeit at the time I found myself with great difficulty in trying to get through the situation of injections -- I was unsure of what to do or how to confront them on the issue. I am however most willing to undergo proper therapy and counseling, and willing to consider every possible form of advice given.

In my medical records it states that I accepted the discharged and I do remember that it was a time at which I felt emotionally stable and productive. However, unfortunately it was shortly thereafter that I encountered a heavy emotional attack that brought me to my knees and left me quite unstable for the proceeding months. It is during these times that I feel I need support and it was this year when I was hit with yet another attack that I realized that some type of mobile support would be needed. I don't have a next of kin available either, so I'm on my own when these occur. I do believe my doctor is aware of this too.

Lastly, I've just received a letter from the DWP today stating that they're awaiting contact with my doctor to discuss my claim. It was her emphasis that these difficulties won't necessarily prevent me from working that bothered me most -- and I trusted that she understood that they could. I tried discussing this with her last week before the first letter arrived during an appointment and emphasized that their debilitating effects could cause this and that my concern would be of a lack of a safety net to prevent myself from falling into some mode of poverty from a lack of income/inability to work. She also said that I should just try to learn to live with GID -- the problem with this is that her response emphasizes her lack of appreciation of its impact. It is not easy to cope with and I did try to elucidate the fact of its difficulty further by stating that the emotional attacks are not something I decide consciously and that they arise unconsciously, attacking my emotional stability. She understood this and further elaborated by saying that one can't just simply stop themselves from having an anxiety attack. However, I do think a problem with the difficulty of GID is such that most professionals may only consider it from a surface perspective and conclude that identity conflicts are not a dire concern (despite the fact that it can and does cause suicide/severe self-harm). I appreciate this may be the reason -- she has questioned the impact from time to time during my visits to appointments but perhaps it's her not knowing the impact from professionals who do understand its impact. Eventually, the discussion ended with her wanting to avoid it -- she stated that she didn't want to get into an "argument" and found herself somewhat confused with regards to how my inputs didn't pertain to an eligibility of disability benefit. She did however admit that it's ultimately the decision of the DWP, however my ultimate concern is of whether she will support my claim -- it is that appointment that espoused my fear of the claim being rejected if she doesn't properly appreciate my difficulties. I could just be worrying too much but with all these cuts shrinking the criteria for disabilities it doesn't help with relaxing a concern of eligibility.

Apologies for this being a lengthy post -- I thought it would be best if I were to append as much relevant information as possible.

Hi JD,

Again I say, being entitled to either component of DLA is not reliant on whether you have capability for work or not.

DLA is awarded for "Mobility" (walking) limitations, and/or Care Needs as a result of your disability or health condition.

Your capability for work is only relevant when being assessed for Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) which has different qualifying criteria.

bro58

More
11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #94346 by John Doe
Replied by John Doe on topic Re:Not too sure of what too do
Ah, I understand. Can applying for ESA potentially contradict the claim of DLA - if DLA is successful - ?
Last edit: 11 years 7 months ago by Gordon.

More
11 years 7 months ago #94349 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Re:Not too sure of what too do
John Doe wrote:

Ah, I understand. Can applying for ESA potentially contradict the claim of DLA - if DLA is successful - ?

The ESA tests, where they overlap with DLA, are more strict so a successful ESA claim would not impact on a existing DLA claim.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.