× Members

would such a report from an OT be useful or not?

More
11 years 7 months ago #94166 by sally-jane
Person involved in a motorcycle accident in 1996 that resulted in a deteriorating spinal condition & was medically retired in 1999. Husband, cares her for & does all cooking & housework, helps to bath & often supervises her trips to the toilet; or on bad days has to push her in a wheelchair. She is 55, due to her spinal condition, has weakness in all her limbs. She is particularly affected on her right side; she has numbness & altered sensation in her right arm, hand, leg and foot.
She has reduced peripheral vision that stops her using an out door electric wheelchair or scooter, as she is unaware of things or people around her.
The numbness & reduced feeling on her right side results in her dropping things regularly. When she is well enough to do things in the kitchen she is at risk of cutting and burning her right hand. She has done this on a number of occasions.
She suffers from some incontinence. This results in her having urinary incontinence on average once a week & more often when her back is worse. The medication she takes often has the effect of giving her constipation or diarrhoea She takes a lot of medication including Zoromorph & Oramorph to reduce the pain, anti sickness pills to reduce the side effects of them; a number of other prescribed anti-inflammatory tablets & painkillers.Takes medication for C.O.P.D & a dry eye condition. The medication has a number of side effects including ‘foggy brain’ & nausea from the Oramorph & Zoromorph, disturbed sleep patterns, headaches, migraines & dulled senses, itchy eyes, forgetfulness, nightmares & difficulty functioning as a person & constipation & diarrhoea
Mobility: She walked with a great deal of difficulty using a walking frame, leans heavily on it & is unable to take full-length steps.Takes a long time, is in discomfort & at risk of falling. Unable to mobilise more than 50 metres on level ground without stopping due to extreme discomfort & exhaustion. Cannot use a self-propelling wheelchair due to upper body impairment. Her right arm is very weak & her right hand is numb.
Transfers: She was seated in a riser-reclining chair when visited. To stand from it she used it to sit her forward and raise her up to near standing. Her husband, stood in front of her to steady the frame, she was able to gradually pull herself forward onto the frame & stand. This was obviously a difficult manoeuvre for her. She required the physical assistance of her husband to enable her to transfer from one seat to another.
Conclusion; Her condition continues to deteriorate. Her pain & disability preclude her from working. She is very dependant on her husband for all activities of daily living. She is unable to get about safely in her own home as she is unable to use a self propelling chair, because of reasons already mentioned, and there is not room to manoeuvre an electric wheelchair. Walking with a frame is precarious, but she needs to continue to do so to maintain the function she has. …..

There is a lot of other stuff for a DFG for the house, however I have just listed what I think is necessary for the next round of ESA form filling & for the new PIP when it comes in as I am on DLA HMC for life. My GP has a copy of the full OT report.

Would such a report from my OT be better than reams of daily life & letters etc to include in the ESA form as it clearly demonstrates the much needed words & descriptors ?
Apologies for long windedness, but I have condensed it a lot just to show important bits.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bro58
11 years 7 months ago #94169 by bro58
pusscatsmum wrote:

Person involved in a motorcycle accident in 1996 that resulted in a deteriorating spinal condition & was medically retired in 1999. Husband, cares her for & does all cooking & housework, helps to bath & often supervises her trips to the toilet; or on bad days has to push her in a wheelchair. She is 55, due to her spinal condition, has weakness in all her limbs. She is particularly affected on her right side; she has numbness & altered sensation in her right arm, hand, leg and foot.
She has reduced peripheral vision that stops her using an out door electric wheelchair or scooter, as she is unaware of things or people around her.
The numbness & reduced feeling on her right side results in her dropping things regularly. When she is well enough to do things in the kitchen she is at risk of cutting and burning her right hand. She has done this on a number of occasions.
She suffers from some incontinence. This results in her having urinary incontinence on average once a week & more often when her back is worse. The medication she takes often has the effect of giving her constipation or diarrhoea She takes a lot of medication including Zoromorph & Oramorph to reduce the pain, anti sickness pills to reduce the side effects of them; a number of other prescribed anti-inflammatory tablets & painkillers.Takes medication for C.O.P.D & a dry eye condition. The medication has a number of side effects including ‘foggy brain’ & nausea from the Oramorph & Zoromorph, disturbed sleep patterns, headaches, migraines & dulled senses, itchy eyes, forgetfulness, nightmares & difficulty functioning as a person & constipation & diarrhoea
Mobility: She walked with a great deal of difficulty using a walking frame, leans heavily on it & is unable to take full-length steps.Takes a long time, is in discomfort & at risk of falling. Unable to mobilise more than 50 metres on level ground without stopping due to extreme discomfort & exhaustion. Cannot use a self-propelling wheelchair due to upper body impairment. Her right arm is very weak & her right hand is numb.
Transfers: She was seated in a riser-reclining chair when visited. To stand from it she used it to sit her forward and raise her up to near standing. Her husband, stood in front of her to steady the frame, she was able to gradually pull herself forward onto the frame & stand. This was obviously a difficult manoeuvre for her. She required the physical assistance of her husband to enable her to transfer from one seat to another.
Conclusion; Her condition continues to deteriorate. Her pain & disability preclude her from working. She is very dependant on her husband for all activities of daily living. She is unable to get about safely in her own home as she is unable to use a self propelling chair, because of reasons already mentioned, and there is not room to manoeuvre an electric wheelchair. Walking with a frame is precarious, but she needs to continue to do so to maintain the function she has. …..

There is a lot of other stuff for a DFG for the house, however I have just listed what I think is necessary for the next round of ESA form filling & for the new PIP when it comes in as I am on DLA HMC for life. My GP has a copy of the full OT report.

Would such a report from my OT be better than reams of daily life & letters etc to include in the ESA form as it clearly demonstrates the much needed words & descriptors ?
Apologies for long windedness, but I have condensed it a lot just to show important bits.

Hi pcm,

I gather that this is an extract from the private OT report that you obtained.

To the normal person, it would seem to be an in depth, highly descriptive report.

However, as you are well aware ATOS do not always take notice of such reports from external sources.

Hopefully, they will in your case. :)

bro58

More
11 years 7 months ago #94182 by sally-jane
Yes you are right it is an extract from the report as a

• Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
More
11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #94185 by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
Replied by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law) on topic Re:would such a report from an OT be useful or not?
pusscatsmum wrote:

Yes you are right it is an extract from the report as a

Your post appears to have been submitted before you completed it. Can you fill in the missing part ?

PLEASE READ THE SPOTLIGHTS AREA OF THE FORUM REGULARLY, OTHERWISE YOU MAY MISS OUT ON IMPORTANT INFORMATION. Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 11 years 7 months ago by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law). Reason: Post incomplete

More
11 years 7 months ago #94187 by sally-jane
Hiya,
Yes it is an extract only.
If I were to send in all the info from GP/Consultants/CPN & other medical people plus a daily log and list of meds, side effects etc etc; it would be reams of papersfor them to read !!!
So I was wondering if just the full OT report, a copy of MRI Scan reports & few other reports would be enough for them to 'actually read', rather than the overload it could be.

More
11 years 7 months ago #94221 by Gordon
pusscatsmum wrote:

Hiya,
Yes it is an extract only.
If I were to send in all the info from GP/Consultants/CPN & other medical people plus a daily log and list of meds, side effects etc etc; it would be reams of papersfor them to read !!!
So I was wondering if just the full OT report, a copy of MRI Scan reports & few other reports would be enough for them to 'actually read', rather than the overload it could be.

I'm sorry but there is no "magic" answer to this, whilst as a general rule, less is normally better, if you need to submit a long report to show proof of a limitation then you you should do so. I would not recommend submitting only the relevant parts of a report, as it will likely simply lead to the rest being requested, or what has been submitted being ignored.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.