× Members

ESA3 Form

• Aquarius
  • Topic Author
11 years 7 months ago #94186 by Aquarius
ESA3 Form was created by Aquarius
I have recently been transferred from long term incapacity benefit(formerly on invalidity benefit) to ESA and placed in the support group until August 2015.

I received the standard letter informing me that I would receive ESA Contributions based with a top up transitional payment, which I was more than happy with.

However, the following day I received a form ESA3 04/12 (which is a claim form for ESA Income related) which I reluctantly filled in and returned to the DWP as requested.

My question is,although I complied with their instruction and sent the form back, do I then have the option of remaining on ESA Contributions based if I am unhappy with any new award of ESA Income related.

Your advice would be most appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 7 months ago #94195 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Re:ESA3 Form
Aquarius wrote:

I have recently been transferred from long term incapacity benefit(formerly on invalidity benefit) to ESA and placed in the support group until August 2015.

I received the standard letter informing me that I would receive ESA Contributions based with a top up transitional payment, which I was more than happy with.

However, the following day I received a form ESA3 04/12 (which is a claim form for ESA Income related) which I reluctantly filled in and returned to the DWP as requested.

My question is,although I complied with their instruction and sent the form back, do I then have the option of remaining on ESA Contributions based if I am unhappy with any new award of ESA Income related.

Your advice would be most appreciated.

The DWP always pay ESA(CB) in preference to ESA(IR) unless a change is requested by the claimant, however, it is possible for your to be paid ESA(IR) as a top-up to your ESA(CB), if your personal circumstances mean you are eligible.

ESA(IR) opens up a number of other benefits to you for payment, for example, as you are in the Support Group you should be eligible for the Enhanced Disability Premium.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• Aquarius
  • Topic Author
11 years 7 months ago #94209 by Aquarius
Replied by Aquarius on topic Re:ESA3 Form
Hi Gordon

Thanks for your quick reply.

My concern is that my wife was classed as a dependent relative on my incapacity benefit claim and ,as I understand it, is not part of my claim for ESA Contributions based.

However if I was forced to claim ESA income related against my wishes then my wife could be compelled to attend WFI appointments.

If this was the case then I would prefer just to receive ESA Contributions based and not Income based.

In actual fact, I filled the form in hoping that they will reply saying that my ESA Contributions based payment (incl transitionary top up payment) is greater than my needs allowance and that ESA Income based isn't payable.

However if it is payable, do I still have the option of remaining on ESA Contributions based ?

More
11 years 7 months ago #94217 by Gordon
Aquarius

As I explained, I would expect the ESA(IR) to be paid in addition to your ESA(CB), I can't comment on whether anything will be payable, but if you are eligible for the Enhanced Disability Premium, it will increase the amount payable by nearly £15 (on top of the couples allowance).

To be honest, I do not know whether it is possible for you to refuse this addition, and therefore prevent your wife having to attend WFIs, but I think it unlikely.

If your wife is providing substantial care for you, and in particular is receiving Carers Allowance or the Carers Premium, then she should be exempted from attending. If she has disabilities of her own, then whilst this will not excuse her from WFIs it may limit how often she is asked to attend.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• Aquarius
  • Topic Author
11 years 7 months ago #94296 by Aquarius
Replied by Aquarius on topic Re:ESA3 Form
Thanks for the advice Gordon.

My wife is entitled to carers allowance but has never bothered to claim it because of receiving the dependant adults payment on my incapacity benefit.

Its probably best for her to claim it now.

Out of curiosity,is the transitional top payment that is paid in addition to ESA when transferring from IB (ie transitional income protection) classed as an "Earnings Disregard" when calculating ESA(IR).

More
11 years 7 months ago #94299 by Gordon
Aquarius wrote:

Thanks for the advice Gordon.

My wife is entitled to carers allowance but has never bothered to claim it because of receiving the dependant adults payment on my incapacity benefit.

Its probably best for her to claim it now.

Out of curiosity,is the transitional top payment that is paid in addition to ESA when transferring from IB (ie transitional income protection) classed as an "Earnings Disregard" when calculating ESA(IR).

I am sorry, but we can't advise on how much you would be paid, I would advise you to get face to face advice before making any Decisions on your wife claiming Carers Allowance, they should be able to give you an accurate understanding of what you will get paid.

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.