× Members

ESA and bank statements

• bro58
11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #94262 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic Re:ESA and bank statements
princess wrote:

Hallo again, I am in receipt of ESA (IR) but have recently
began a small NHS pension which I declared along with the lump sum. I did contact citizen advise and was told they would only be interested in anything over £6000 and to justify any repairs/debts/loans etc. which I didn't have. We needed repairs to the property and I bought a peice of equipment for a hobby, which was questioned. I justified this, I felt, because I have difficulty using my hands. There is some money left, I told her over the phone how much but this is below the £6000 allowance you are allowed to have. I guess that amount is enough for a burial !!!!. I have had recent car repairs and still have the receipts where else does payment come from for these unexpected costs? Is this classed as deprivation of benefit? I am barely in receipt of any ESA due to the £/£ small NHS pension. It still feels so embarrassing having to justify reasonable and responsible money descisions, something you've done all your life to someone that barely is out of nappies!!!! So if I send of my latest bank statement that shows under the £6000 is this sufficient ? or am I still missing something. What kind of a system is this , The Europian parliament squander money in their billions over a period of 18 years, the government continually do the same and right down to your local council
level who live in mahagony row here and not a dickey-bird is said, yet due to know fault of my own I have to justify a few hundred punds of a lump sum that citizen advise suggested I go on holiday with - is that an extravagance then? I do have money left , well under the £6000 that money is in the house but I declared over the phone, and is really for any emergencies - maybe we should go on holiday..... what is classed as deprivation of benefit ?

Thanks for all your help.

Whether you are classed as deliberately "depriving" yourself of capital or not is decided by the DWP. There is not really a definitive answer that I can offer. You are allowed to contest any decision that they make, but again you would need professional advice.

It is possible to have more than £6000 in capital and still receive a reduced amount of any income related, means tested benefit that you may be entitled to. You can have up to £16,000, as seen here:

Asset rule for ESA(IR)

If the DWP decide that you have intentionally deprived yourself of capital, by suirreling it away, giving it away, or spending it in such a way as they do not deem reasonable, they can deem you to still have that capital,(notional capital) for a specified period.

You should provide any bank statements or other financial documentation that they may request.

Hopefully all will turn out O.K.for you.

bro58
Last edit: 11 years 7 months ago by bro58.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.