× Members

Completing ESA50 + WCA Mental Health

More
11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #94647 by Jean
:dry: :blush: :huh: :dry: :angry: :woohoo:
I am in the process of being assessed for eligibility for ESA after having been on Incapacity Benefit for some time. I have to have returned the ESA50 Questionnaire by 10th December.

I have a question (as follows) that I would be grateful if someone could help me out with:-

Question: Recently my depression (I have long-term susceptibility to it) deteriorated owing I think to major problems with my immediate family and also my elderly mother who detemindly and inadvisably lives on her own. Although I have some somewhat elderly letters from previous doctors who have since left the GP Practice I am registered with, I have not been on medication for some time as the medication I used to be on ( Effexor and Sreoxat either didn’t work or made things worse. I have been enabled to get by by not having all the stresses associated with holding down a job. Of course the DWP and Atos will doubtless interpret the situation of my not being on medication as meaning I am now in robust mental health!. I went to see my GP about needing some form of medication again in early October (before ever I was sent any letters about having to apply for ESA and losing my Incapacity Benefit). My GP was loathe to prescribe anti-depressants because sometimes they don't work and sometimes they make a person worse (e.g. 'Prozac' - which turned some people into axe murderers' or 'Seroxat' and ‘Effexor’ which I was once on for several years with no change or some deterioration) but chiefly because my doctor perceived the circumstances which intensified my depression as being 'long-term', she thought reference to a new organisation called 'Let's Talk' [address removed] www.talk2gether.nhs.uk

After spending quite a long time trying to get an answer from 'Let's Talk' by phone, they told me they would arrange for a face-to-face consultation with one of their therapists. Interestingly they asked me a question during this phone call which bore a close resemblance to one in 'Exceptional Circumstances', they even sent me a 4 page questionnaire where 2 of the pages only were about my mental health issues and the remaining 2 were all about my employment status ! They then told me that 'after discussion with a colleague' they wouldn't see me, but rather, they would have a more in-depth telephone conversation with me when my name got to the top of the list – which could be as long as 2 months away i.e. too late!
Can you please give me some advice on how to cope with this area ' because it could be vital to get the support of some recognised Authority on mental health and 'Let's Talk sound amateurish, shy and faint-hearted ('Chocolate Fireguard' springs to mind).
Last edit: 11 years 7 months ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #94659 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Re:Completing ESA50 + WCA Mental Health
Jean

I am afraid it is what it is, if you have not been prescribed any medication then there is nothing realistically you can do about it.

Mental Health is a complicated area, and as I understand it, it is not unprecedented for somone with serious problems to not be taking medication, often becuase of the side effects, although I stress this varies greatly from patient to patient.

Practical things you can do, you don't mention whether you have family, friends or a carer that see you on a regular basis, if you do, perhaps you could ask them to put their thoughts on your limitations on paper.

You can access your medical records, see

Requesting your medical records

Charging for medical records

Remember, whilst treatment confirms the severity of your condition(s), it is your ability to perform the ESA descriptors that is being tested, see or ESA Claim guides on the following link.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/esa

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 11 years 7 months ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.