× Members

Getting Respresentation at an appeal

More
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #96619 by Derekq
Getting Respresentation at an appeal was created by Derekq
Hi Forum.
Have decided to go for an appeal in principal, looking at the GL24 it asks who your Representertive is ... here is the difficult part.

CAB do not go to appeals or at least my local offices do not ... tried to find "Welfare Rights" they seem to have vanished, I have seen that it is advised not to go to an appeal on your own and have a representertive with you, well its looks near on imposible to achive.

Anyone with knowledge of an organisation that possibly may help would be most gratefully appreciated

If you have the money there are solicitors I am sure who will do it for ££££££££££££'s

Has anyone here had representation at an appeal ? if so can they please shed any light on who helped them as a representertive and which organisation they came from.

Thanks, Derek
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago #96624 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Getting Respresentation at an appeal

Derekq wrote: Hi Forum.
Have decided to go for an appeal in principal, looking at the GL24 it asks who your Representertive is ... here is the difficult part.

CAB do not go to appeals or at least my local offices do not ... tried to find "Welfare Rights" they seem to have vanished, I have seen that it is advised not to go to an appeal on your own and have a representertive with you, well its looks near on imposible to achive.

Anyone with knowledge of an organisation that possibly may help would be most gratefully appreciated

If you have the money there are solicitors I am sure who will do it for ££££££££££££'s

Has anyone here had representation at an appeal ? if so can they please shed any light on who helped them as a representertive and which organisation they came from.

Thanks, Derek

As you have already found out, Legal Aid for appeals to the Lower Tribunal has been stopped, so you may find it very difficult to find a representative.

With regard the GL24, you do not need to specify a representative in order to submit the form, if you find one after submitting it, you can simply notify the Tribunal Service.

Statistics show that having a representative can significantly increase the liklihood of your appeal being successful, however, welfare advice agencies undoubtedly cherry-pick the case they handle, so the figures may not be a real representation of the help they can give.

I would also say that many of our members have found themselves in a similar situation and have been able successfully take their claim to a Tribunal with just the aid of the guides.

Most Tribunal panel members say that more often than not, their decisions are based on the statements of the claimant on the day, rather than any specific evidence that they have submitted, something that any representative is unlikely to be of assistance with.

If you have not already done so have a look at our Appeal guide

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/esa

The following fact sheet has more information about Tribunals

Disability Rights UK Factsheet - Appeals and reconsiderations

and the following FAQ explains how to prepare

Preparing for a Tribunal

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: BERYL

More
11 years 4 months ago #96626 by Pipp
Replied by Pipp on topic Getting Respresentation at an appeal
I have stopped looking for a representative for tribunal. I have found that those Agencies I have approached for help seem to have less knowledge than I have gained through b&w guides. They also usually told me that I am not eligible for free help due to the fact that my husband has a company pension.

Good luck Derekq. Keep using the guides and advice from moderators.

P. C.

More
11 years 4 months ago #96661 by Derekq
Replied by Derekq on topic Getting Respresentation at an appeal
Hi
Thanks Gordon and PC for your replys, it would seem that we are not playing on a level pitch anymore, pity the election isnt next year !!! only hope it that people have long memories, judgeing by history they dont !!!

But then again would the next bunch treat us any better ... probably not.

I have a few phone calls to make to see if anyone can help but its a lost one I think.

Regards, Derek

More
11 years 4 months ago #96777 by chafur47
Replied by chafur47 on topic Getting Respresentation at an appeal
It is obvious that resource to support in terms of representation and legalities are scare, for good reason. Having a legal representative is very important in my view, so that the law is enforced concerning illness and work capability. Charities will not help, its not in their interest. In annycase, we are totally disempowered at the mercy of brutal system.

Derek, you may want to purchase the book from CIPAG which hopefully is as informative as it used to be.

The Community Legal Services may have a list of representatives in your area. Good luck, and keep us posted.

More
11 years 4 months ago #96782 by teresa36
Replied by teresa36 on topic Getting Respresentation at an appeal
I'm representing my 18 yr old daughter who suffers with cfs/m.e and other associated illnesses, we go to appeal on the 9th of this month, I have worked damm hard on collating all the evidence and trying to understand all that is required of us.I just hope it is enough and I don't let my daughter down.she receives the higher rate of mobility from dla but nothing for the care component. I too could not get a professional to represent her, without a shed load of money.....which if we had she wouldn't be asking for support!!

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.