× Members

Transferred to Support Group (I think!)

More
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #96802 by Eleanor
Well after the most awful stressful year and lots of ill-health, I had a letter just before Christmas saying there was "A change in the Employment and Support Allowance Rate payable".

Nowhere did it say - you have been moved from WRAG to support group. On the back page was a breakdown of payments with "Limited Capability for Work Addition" of £34.05 with a total payment of £105.05.

So I guess this means I have been moved to the Support Group? However the dates say from August 2012 (when I appealed) to November 29 2012! So does that mean I have only been put in the Support Group for 3 months?!

Originally I was put in the WRAG group until November 2013.

Here is my timline.

ESA form arrived in April 2012 - completed it to transfer from IB. Heard nothing until July - put in WRAG. Immediately had letter asking me for work focused interview. I telephoned Jobcentre and said I was unwell and would prefer to do it over the phone. This was accepted eventually (after some insults!). During the phone interview it was accepted I was not well enough to do anything and as I was appealing she said she wouldn't contact me for 6 months. She was also more helpful at this stage and said I needed to reorganise my housing and finances and look out for myself.

Appeal sent in end of August. Had letter shortly after confirming they would look at the decision if they could and if not, my appeal would go ahead (or some such thing). Heard nothing for 4 months. Now this letter just before Christmas (I didn't open it until today so as not to get down over Christmas).

I have been ill for the last month after adverse reaction to an anaesthetic. In my appeal I had said I had a number of ongoing medical problems and was on a hospital waiting list, and also that I would try some new medication for my existing disability and would let them know whether it helped or not, and said I needed to be in the Support Group for at least two years to try and deal with all my medical issues one thing at a time, to regain general health.

So I am not sure what is what now. Is there an error on the letter and the rate should be until November 2013 not 2012? Or am I going to get another ESA claim to fill in very soon. I hope not, I have been so ill with the stress of it all this year and my GP has sent me for counselling.
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago #96806 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Transferred to Support Group (I think!)
Eleanor

A main phase payment of 34.05 does equate to the current Support Group rate, so it does sound as if your appeal has been successful.

First, to dispose of the date in November, this is an administrative date used by the DWP and does not reflect your next assessment date except by co-incidence, which is clearly not the case regarding your award.

Any increase in payment should be dated from the date of the Decision you appealed, I am guessing that your Effective Date of Transfer, the date you started receiving ESA payments rather than IB, was actually in August rather than July.

You should receive a further letter detailing your ESA payments from 30/11/12 to a date in April 2013, this will be when everybodies ESA payments will increase.

I hope this explains it, and congratulations on the award.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #96808 by Eleanor
Replied by Eleanor on topic Transferred to Support Group (I think!)
Thank you very much Gordon. I thought I was good with understanding documents, but theirs are dense and confusing! I have just tried to read it through again. It says in the main body of the letter "The money will be paid every two weeks for as long as you are still entitled to Employment and Support Allowance."

But then later there are the headings about "If a decision is looked at again" and "How to appeal". saying "If the decision can be changed we will send you a new decision. If we cannot change the decision we will tell you why. You still have the right of appeal etc.."

So has a decision still not been made then? Or is this letter the decision. I'm sorry for asking so many questions. I am still a bit fuddled after being in hospital.

I am the kind of person who likes things plain and clear - ie "This is a new decision, you have been transferred to the Support Group until X date" and then the financial bits.

I suppose I am still nervous it is a nasty trick! But if I have been transferred - then thank you very much to everyone on this site, as I'd have gone under without it. Although am only just treading water now!
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by Gordon.

More
11 years 4 months ago #96814 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Transferred to Support Group (I think!)

Eleanor wrote: Thank you very much Gordon. I thought I was good with understanding documents, but theirs are dense and confusing! I have just tried to read it through again. It says in the main body of the letter "The money will be paid every two weeks for as long as you are still entitled to Employment and Support Allowance."

But then later there are the headings about "If a decision is looked at again" and "How to appeal". saying "If the decision can be changed we will send you a new decision. If we cannot change the decision we will tell you why. You still have the right of appeal etc.."

So has a decision still not been made then? Or is this letter the decision. I'm sorry for asking so many questions. I am still a bit fuddled after being in hospital.

I am the kind of person who likes things plain and clear - ie "This is a new decision, you have been transferred to the Support Group until X date" and then the financial bits.

I suppose I am still nervous it is a nasty trick! But if I have been transferred - then thank you very much to everyone on this site, as I'd have gone under without it. Although am only just treading water now!

You are entitled to written notice of any Decisions the DWP make on your claim, unfortunately, the nature of that written notice is not defined and the DWP seem willing to use the most obscure letters to inform claimants of what is happening.

You can try and get a more explicit statement from the DWP, and this would certainly be worth doing, but you may not receive anything more than you already have.

The information about appealing is included in all letters from the DWP where a change to the claim is made, so you should not read anything into this.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris