× Members

ESA & Epileptic Seizures

• MariW
  • Topic Author
  • Away
More
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #96990 by MariW
ESA & Epileptic Seizures was created by MariW
A contact has been notified by phone and letter of transfer from IB to ESA. He expects to receive a ESA50 in a few days. My contact's only health problem is epilepsy that is not fully controlled by his medication. His mental health is not affected. He does not lose consciousness but is almost helpless and requires his partner to give him medication. He does not experience incontinence during a seizure.

There is no pattern to the frequency of my contact’s epileptic seizures. He might experience up to three in a day or a fortnight might pass between one seizure and the next. Would this be considered a “significant risk”…enough for him to get ESA? He cannot drive because of his condition. Would this bring in any points on grounds of mobility and getting about safely?
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #96994 by
Replied by on topic ESA & Epileptic Seizures

MariW wrote: A contact has been notified by phone and letter of transfer from IB to ESA. He expects to receive a ESA50 in a few days. My contact's only health problem is epilepsy that is not fully controlled by his medication. His mental health is not affected. He does not lose consciousness but is almost helpless and requires his partner to give him medication. He does not experience incontinence during a seizure.

There is no pattern to the frequency of my contact’s epileptic seizures. He might experience up to three in a day or a fortnight might pass between one seizure and the next. Would this be considered a “significant risk”…enough for him to get ESA? He cannot drive because of his condition. Would this bring in any points on grounds of mobility and getting about safely?

Hi MW,

There is no absolute definition of what "Substantial Risk" is.

It is covered at 42188 of the : DM Guide Volume 8 Chapter 42.

The repeatedly, reliably and safely factor may be relevant here, as well.

See this thread :

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/forum?view=top...id=10&id=96059#96059

With moving around, risk may be involved, and it should be considered whether the claimant can "Mobilise Unaided", without someone accompanying them to the negate the risk factor for the majority of the time.

bro58
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by .

• MariW
  • Topic Author
  • Away
More
11 years 4 months ago #96995 by MariW
Replied by MariW on topic ESA & Epileptic Seizures
Thanks Bro58,

I'll read that section of the DM Guide and re-read the mobility and getting around descriptors with my contact and his partner in mind. Cheers :)

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris