× Members

IB50: DWP changes or mistakes 2009-10 ?

• MariW
  • Topic Author
  • Away
More
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #96992 by MariW
I have claimed SDA for many years. The award was for an indefinite period. I was awarded higher rate care component of DLA in the mid-nineties. The award was for life and meant that I was exempt from the PCA when it was introduced.

Towards the end of 2009, I received an IB50 despite my being in an exempt category. I phoned the DWP and explained that I was exempt but terrified of losing income. Following DWP advice, I completed the form and included a statement that I was exempt because of my DLA care rate.

About six weeks later, I received two replies. One confirmed that I was indeed exempt from the PCA. The other letter stated did not require an ATOS medical and would continue to receive SDA though my case would be reviewed in three years. My indefinite award had disappeared! The three years have now passed. I await a letter about transfer from SDA to ESA.

However, I have read “somewhere” online that there were mistakes in issuing IB50 questionnaires in the period late 2009/early 2010. Ought I anticipate transfer to ESA based on the three-year review referred to in the DWP letter?
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago #96993 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic IB50: DWP changes or mistakes 2009-10 ?

MariW wrote: I have claimed SDA for many years. The award was for an indefinite period. I was awarded higher rate care component of DLA in the mid-nineties. The award was for life and meant that I was exempt from the PCA when it was introduced.

Towards the end of 2009, I received an IB50 despite my being in an exempt category. I phoned the DWP and explained that I was exempt but terrified of losing income. Following DWP advice, I completed the form and included a statement that I was exempt because of my DLA care rate.

About six weeks later, I received two replies. One confirmed that I was indeed exempt from the PCA. The other letter stated did not require an ATOS medical and would continue to receive SDA though my case would be reviewed in three years. My indefinite award had disappeared! The three years have now passed. I await a letter about transfer from SDA to ESA.

However, I have read “somewhere” online that there were mistakes in issuing IB50 questionnaires in the period late 2009/early 2010. Ought I anticipate transfer to ESA based on the three-year review referred to in the DWP letter?

Everybody on SDA who does not reach State Pension age by 06/04/14 will be transferred to ESA, you might want to have a look at our FAQs on the process

IB/IS/SDA transfer FAQs

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• MariW
  • Topic Author
  • Away
More
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #96996 by MariW
Replied by MariW on topic IB50: DWP changes or mistakes 2009-10 ?
I think I have confused you, Gordon. Sorry. I know I will be transferred from SDA to ESA. I have read up on the process. My question was to do with timing because of the IB50 I received in 2009 when I was in an exempt category for the PCA and the dual response from the DWP.
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by bro58.

• bro58
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #96999 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic IB50: DWP changes or mistakes 2009-10 ?

MariW wrote: I think I have confused you, Gordon. Sorry. I know I will be transferred from SDA to ESA. I have read up on the process. My question was to do with timing because of the IB50 I received in 2009 when I was in an exempt category for the PCA and the dual response from the DWP.

Hi MW,

It does seem that there may have been an error in issuing you with an IB50 in 2009, if you were PCA Exempt due to being in receipt of HR Care DLA.

There are no such exemptions with ESA, they did state originally that PCA Exempt claimants would be migrated over first, they also stated that claimants could expect to be migrated over to ESA on their normal review date.

Further it was stated that SDA recipients would be migrated over last.

The DWP have not stuck by what was original stated Re : the above, however, I cannot remember many members in receipt of SDA posting to say that they have started the migration process.

bro58
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by bro58.

• MariW
  • Topic Author
  • Away
More
11 years 4 months ago #97004 by MariW
Replied by MariW on topic IB50: DWP changes or mistakes 2009-10 ?
Thanks for your response, Bro58. Timing is obviously anybody’s guess! The best claimants can do is to subscribe to B&W and be ready. I am preparing in accordance with the three-year review mentioned in my first post… but there’s the possibility of a revised ESA50 at the end of this month.

You mention that not many B&W members claiming SDA have posted to say that they are in the process of being transferred to ESA. Somebody was asking about this yesterday:

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/forum?view=topic&catid=10&id=96490

Thanks again.

:)

• bro58
11 years 4 months ago #97005 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic IB50: DWP changes or mistakes 2009-10 ?

MariW wrote: Thanks for your response, Bro58. Timing is obviously anybody’s guess! The best claimants can do is to subscribe to B&W and be ready. I am preparing in accordance with the three-year review mentioned in my first post… but there’s the possibility of a revised ESA50 at the end of this month.

You mention that not many B&W members claiming SDA have posted to say that they are in the process of being transferred to ESA. Somebody was asking about this yesterday:

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/forum?view=topic&catid=10&id=96490

Thanks again.

:)

Hi MW,

Yes, that post kind of reiterates my comment.

Of course, there may have been, my memory isn't fullproof :)

bro58

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris