× Members

£71 per week for ESA under appeal! Are they joking

• Sherlock
  • Topic Author
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #97036 by Sherlock
Hello, I am appealing the DWP decision on my recent Atos medical denying me the transition from Incapacity benefit / Income support to ESA and stopping my DLA payments.
My doctor wrote me a recent medical certificate for three months inline with ESA conditions

My questions are

1) If I do win my appeal and also get lower rate mobility PIP will the same rules to ESA apply?

2) Is it correct that whilst my ESA is under appeal the DWP will only pay myself and my wife who is a stay at home Mum and part time student £71.00 a week? And if yes how an earth could any government department justify that amount given the fact that winter fuel bills both gas and electric are approx £35+ per week leaving £36 or less for 2 Adults to eat? Why don’t the politicians and DWP decision makers give that a try for a few months and see if they can do it! We are just going to get further into heavy debt and increase my worry and anxiety and possibly worsen my medical condition.

3) Is anyone else having problems digesting this disgusting insult, why should we be penalised for appealing a poor decision at all? Especially when Atoss’s :evil: get it wrong well over 50% of the time.

My 1st payment of £71 was due in yesterday….it was no surprise to find it not in my account….i chased them today and I am told the payment will be with me soon??? I called them ( recorded ) three times beforehand to make sure everything was in order and that payment of the messly £71 would be paid!!! They cant even get that right…shocking :S

Thank you :(
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago #97038 by Gordon
Sherlock

To try and answer your questions.

1. I am not sure which rules you are referring to, could you clarify?

2. £71/w is the standard Assessment rate for an adult over 25 receiving Contribution Based ESA. If this is your only income and you do not have assets in excess of £16,000 then you should be able to request an Income Related ESA top-up. I would suggest you get face to face advice from your local CAB or Welfare Rights agency, who will be able to look at your financial situation in more detail.

3. I hope you will understand, but we are really not in a position to discuss Government policy

With regard your payments, there have been problems with ESA payments due to the Christmas period, this may be why your payment has been delayed, if it caused you problems, you may be able to request a hardship loan.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• Sherlock
  • Topic Author
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #97052 by Sherlock
Thanks Gordon, with regard to rules I was wondering if it is possable to be awarded
ESA without a PIP component?

And if I do win pip and esa at the tribunal will I be forced into work
Programs even though I can get medical certificates to state I
Am unfit for work?
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by Gordon.

More
11 years 4 months ago #97056 by slugsta
I think maybe you have got confused as ESA and PIP are two totally seperate beneifts - and PIP hasn't even been introduced yet!

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
11 years 4 months ago #97057 by Gordon

Sherlock wrote: Thanks Gordon, with regard to rules I was wondering if it is possable to be awarded
ESA without a PIP component?

And if I do win pip and esa at the tribunal will I be forced into work
Programs even though I can get medical certificates to state I
Am unfit for work?

ESA and PIP are completely independant benefits, in fact PIP is not currently an available benefit, as it will not begin to replace DLA until later in the year. Being in receipt of a DLA can, depending on the award, increase the amount of money payable to someone receiving ESA(IR), but you do not need to have a DLA award in order to receive ESA.

ESA is awarded to claimants who are unable to work due to illness or disability.

DLA and PIP are/will be awarded to claimants to help with the additional costs that their care and mobility needs cause.

If you are placed into the WRAG, as opposed to the Support Group, then you will be expected to participate in Work Related Activity, which could include your being forwarded to the Work Programme, however, while you remain eligible for ESA, you cannot be asked to work or to seek work. See the following FAQs

Work Focussed Interviews

Work Programme

Changes to ESA Sanctions

I hope this explain it.

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.