× Members

PIP wheelchair users

• Colin
  • Topic Author
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #97041 by Colin
PIP wheelchair users was created by Colin
I am getting confused about PIP mobility component, the draft regs issued in December 2012 seem to indicate wheelchair users will be entitled to Higher rate Mobility Component of PIP, is my assumption correct please.
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by slugsta.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #97043 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic PIP wheelchair users
Every thing we know about PIP can be found in the PIP FAQ in the 'spotlights' section of this forum.

PIP FAQ

The government were sneaky and reduced the mobility limit from 50m down to 20m at the last minute! It seems as if, to gain the enhanced mobiliy component, one must be able to mobilise less than 20 meters without the aid of a wheelchair.

Thus it will be the mobility that is paramount, not the use of a wheelchair per se.

ps This is my understanding. If any of the mods have a different interpretation I will be glad to hear it :)

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by slugsta. Reason: to add ps
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)

• bro58
11 years 4 months ago #97044 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic PIP wheelchair users
Hi C,

As well as the link that MHB has posted, there is info here as well :

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/personal-indep...ip/pip-points-system

And here :

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/news/2174-pip-...ty-down-to-20-metres

These were the final drafts by the way.

bro58

• Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
More
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #97067 by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
Replied by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law) on topic PIP wheelchair users

Colin wrote: I am getting confused about PIP mobility component, the draft regs issued in December 2012 seem to indicate wheelchair users will be entitled to Higher rate Mobility Component of PIP, is my assumption correct please.

Under the updated regulations you only need 12 points, not 15 as is necessary now for DLA HRM.

2. Moving around.

a. Can stand and then move more than 200 metres, either aided or unaided. 0 points.
b. Can stand and then move more than 50 metres but no more than 200 metres, either aided or unaided. 4 points.
c. Can stand and then move unaided more than 20 metres but no more than 50 metres. 8 points.
d. Can stand and then move using an aid or appliance more than 20 metres but no more than 50 metres. 10 points.
e. Can stand and then move more than 1 metre but no more than 20 metres, either aided or unaided. 12 points.
f. Cannot, either aided or unaided, –
(i) stand; or
(ii) move more than 1 metre. 12 points.

A manual wheelchair is classified as 'an aid', as would be a zimmer or crutches.

In my opinion it would depend how far you can propel yourself in a wheelchair, so it could be d,e, or f. A person who requires a motorised wheelchair medically supplied will meet descriptor e or f.

If you can't score 12 in the 'Moving around' then possibly you could score the extra points needed in ' Planning and following journeys.'

Note the above is from draft legislation and has not yet been made as a UK Statutory Instrument.

PLEASE READ THE SPOTLIGHTS AREA OF THE FORUM REGULARLY, OTHERWISE YOU MAY MISS OUT ON IMPORTANT INFORMATION. Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law). Reason: Added information for clarification.

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.