× Members

compensation

More
11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #97114 by scruffs
compensation was created by scruffs
Evening everyone, hope you all had a happy christmas and a great New year

Would really appreciate if anyone could give me some advice for a friend of mine, at the moment she is in a terrible state as she is not sure of what she should do.

Basically she has 7 year old twin girls, who are both autistic, so she left work to look after the girls, she receives income support fro looking after the girls

Recently she received compensation for a acident, which was no fault of her own, as she was a pedestrian walking home from work and a car mounted the pavement and hit her from behind, now she has a form from income support to fill in and in the form it asks if she has received any compensation from anywhere, does this mean they will stop her benefits, as she has used most of that money to build an extra room at the back of her house for her elderly mother who can no longer get up the stairs.

Any help would be truly appreciated
Last edit: 11 years 3 months ago by bro58.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bro58
11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #97117 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic compensation

scruffs wrote: Evening everyone, hope you all had a happy christmas and a great New year

Would really appreciate if anyone could give me some advice for a friend of mine, at the moment she is in a terrible state as she is not sure of what she should do.

Basically she has 7 year old twin girls, who are both autistic, so she left work to look after the girls, she receives income support fro looking after the girls

Recently she received compensation for a acident, which was no fault of her own, as she was a pedestrian walking home from work and a car mounted the pavement and hit her from behind, now she has a form from income support to fill in and in the form it asks if she has received any compensation from anywhere, does this mean they will stop her benefits, as she has used most of that money to build an extra room at the back of her house for her elderly mother who can no longer get up the stairs.

Any help would be truly appreciated

Hi s,

We do not really advise on IS issues.

There are far too many variables here, to give a definitive answer.

Did your friend have a solocitor in her Personal Injury claim ?

Was your friend in receipt of benefits as a result of the accident, if so the DWP can claw back such benefits upto a maximum of 5 years prior to the settlement, by way of The Compensation Recovery Unit. (CRU)

If there was a solicitor involved he/she should have informed the DWP of an impending settlement.

Did your friend set up a Personal Injury Trust with the compensation?

If your friend has capital, assets or savings less than £6000, then this should not effect any IS payments. Between £6,000 and £16,000 you would have £1 deducted weekly for every £250 in excess of the £6,000. i.e. £12,000 = £6,000 in excess of the £6000 allowed, £6000 divided by £250 = 24, 24 X £1 would give a weekly deduction of £24.

Anything over £16,000 could result in no IS payment.

My best advice would be to provide all the information that the DWP have asked for, as you can see it is not a straighforward matter.

Your friend should really seek professional advice, see :

Where to get advice?

You could also research "compensation" and The DWP CRU on the internet.

bro58

• Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
More
11 years 3 months ago #97118 by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
Replied by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law) on topic compensation
It depends what benefits she is on. The DWP have a Compensation Recovery Unit which can claw back certain benefits such as IB/ESA and DLA if compensation is paid for an accident. However, if compensation is awarded for an accident then this should be included in any compensation awarded.

Your friend must have had a solicitor acting for her following her accident, so it should be them who is chasing this up, not your friend.

Details of Compensation Recovery can be found on the DWP siite at Compensation Recovery Unit

PLEASE READ THE SPOTLIGHTS AREA OF THE FORUM REGULARLY, OTHERWISE YOU MAY MISS OUT ON IMPORTANT INFORMATION. Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: scruffs

More
11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #97122 by scruffs
Replied by scruffs on topic compensation
Thank you Bro58 and Jim Allison will definately pass this information on to my friend.

But can I also tell you guys that i posted a a couple of months ago in regards to my sister who is a schizophrenic, she had to attend a medical, took your advice on board and am happy to say that she passed her medical even though they would not allow us not to attend. so a huge THANK YOU to all you guys
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)

• bro58
11 years 3 months ago #97124 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic compensation

scruffs wrote: Thank you Bro58 and Jim Allison will definately pass this information on to my friend.

But can I also tell you guys that i posted a a couple of months ago in regards to my sister who is a schizophrenic, she had to attend a medical, took your advice on board and am happy to say that she passed her medical even though they would not allow us not to attend. so a huge THANK YOU to all you guys

Hope all works out well for your friend, compensation and benefits "can" be complicated , and there are many other issues that may be pertinent, that I have not even mentioned.

That is good news regarding your sister, thanks for letting us know, and for your comments regarding B&W. :)

bro58

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.