× Members

ESA Question

More
11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #97160 by speo77
ESA Question was created by speo77
Excellent site !!
I am still on I.B and I am trying to get my self organised for when I am transfered to ESA.
Has anyone any tips on asking consultants/GP/Physiotherapists etc for letters that will support a claim for ESA. I am not very good on the phone and useless at typing letters, are there any templates available on the site ?
I remember when I applied for DLA, I was seeing my physiotherapist on a weekly basis then and did pluck up the courage to ask her if she would write a letter of support which she did, but now I rarely see anyone regarding my illness/disability . Is it better to phone the consultants secretary and ask for a letter or send them a letter to ask for supporting evidence? I find it hard to see how my consultant will write a letter of support as he hardly knows me !
Also am I right in thinking that anyone on indefinite awards for DLA will now be transferred to PIP after the next goverment election ?
Thanks in advance
Last edit: 11 years 3 months ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #97167 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA Question

speo77 wrote: Excellent site !!
I am still on I.B and I am trying to get my self organised for when I am transfered to ESA.
Has anyone any tips on asking consultants/GP/Physiotherapists etc for letters that will support a claim for ESA. I am not very good on the phone and useless at typing letters, are there any templates available on the site ?
I remember when I applied for DLA, I was seeing my physiotherapist on a weekly basis then and did pluck up the courage to ask her if she would write a letter of support which she did, but now I rarely see anyone regarding my illness/disability . Is it better to phone the consultants secretary and ask for a letter or send them a letter to ask for supporting evidence? I find it hard to see how my consultant will write a letter of support as he hardly knows me !
Also am I right in thinking that anyone on indefinite awards for DLA will now be transferred to PIP after the next goverment election ?
Thanks in advance

The first thing you need to do is to establish whether your GP and/or Consultant are willing to provide you with a report or letter, unfortunately, they are under no obligation to do so, and many over the last two years have opted not to provide and supports to claimants, even if they do, they may charge.

For a letter or report to be effective, it should reference your capabilities in the context of the ESA descriptors, a letter that simply says you are not Fit for Work, will have little value, however, you need to be careful not to direct the doctor as to how to fill out the letter, as this can count against you.

I'm afraid there are no template letters of this nature on the site.

You can also access you medical records directly, most Consultants will update your GP everytime they see you, and this may offer you a route to providing medical evidence for your claim. See

Requesting your medical records

Charging for medical records

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 11 years 3 months ago by Gordon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: speo77

More
11 years 3 months ago #97170 by pamela
Replied by pamela on topic ESA Question
I started filling in my ESA50 questions from this site before I even heard from the DWP.it gave me plenty of time to really think what i needed to include.
I also approached my GP and asked if he would do me a supporting letter to go with my claim form.I then wrote a brief letter of my daily problems inc my illnesses and disabilities and how they affected me.If you take a look at the ESA criteria on here you can see what may be appropiate to yourself and handed this in to my gp so he could write his report,
Beware though not to state that you think you fit the criteria such and such and don't ask your gp. to put you fit certain criteria because if this has to go to appeal the appeal board might think you have put words in your gps mouth.
I worked through the ESA information on this site and with this and my gps. report i did not have to go for an assessment and was awarded ESA support group.
good luck.
The following user(s) said Thank You: speo77

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.