× Members

Will I get my money back?

More
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #97340 by vintage1959
Will I get my money back? was created by vintage1959
I had a letter on the 18th October to say I'd only scored 9 points at my medical so I appealed, while waiting for my appeal I claimed ESA at the reduced rate of £71 per week and lost my disability premium of around £30 per week. This morning I received a letter to say they have looked at my claim again before it goes to appeal and have decided that I should really be in the support group as from the 18th October.
Obviously I'm ecstatic, but I have lost a lot of money because of them, I have had to beg my Doctors to issue me a repeat sick note with out seeing me so I could carry on getting my ESA, as I couldn't afford the £15 round trip of a taxi to get me there and back, and at the coldest part of the year I've been huddled in my bed afraid to come out because I could only afford to heat a couple of rooms, my DLA pays my cleaner/helper/godsend, but I had to tell her over Christmas that I might have to let her go as I couldn't afford her any more, and by then I felt ending it all was the only way to get out of this nightmare as I've now become depressed, but now i'm bloody angry, so angry I've been put through all this for nothing!!!
What I would like to know is, do I get my disability premium back dated, they probably owe me about £300, do I have to apply or will I get it automatically, and what about the cold weather payments I have also missed out on, do I get those too?
Grateful for your help anyone.
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #97342 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Will I get my money back?

vintage1959 wrote: I had a letter on the 18th October to say I'd only scored 9 points at my medical so I appealed, while waiting for my appeal I claimed ESA at the reduced rate of £71 per week and lost my disability premium of around £30 per week. This morning I received a letter to say they have looked at my claim again before it goes to appeal and have decided that I should really be in the support group as from the 18th October.
Obviously I'm ecstatic, but I have lost a lot of money because of them, I have had to beg my Doctors to issue me a repeat sick note with out seeing me so I could carry on getting my ESA, as I couldn't afford the £15 round trip of a taxi to get me there and back, and at the coldest part of the year I've been huddled in my bed afraid to come out because I could only afford to heat a couple of rooms, my DLA pays my cleaner/helper/godsend, but I had to tell her over Christmas that I might have to let her go as I couldn't afford her any more, and by then I felt ending it all was the only way to get out of this nightmare as I've now become depressed, but now i'm bloody angry, so angry I've been put through all this for nothing!!!
What I would like to know is, do I get my disability premium back dated, they probably owe me about £300, do I have to apply or will I get it automatically, and what about the cold weather payments I have also missed out on, do I get those too?
Grateful for your help anyone.

First, can you confirm that you are referring to the Disability Premium, and not some similarly named Premium, for example; the Severe Disability Premium or the Enhanced Disability Premium?

You do not say on what basis you were receiving this premium, were you converted from IS due to Incapacity to ESA?.

On the assumption that you were receiving the Disability Premium, this Premium is not payable with ESA, instead you will receive an award for being placed in the Support Group. If you are receiving Income Related ESA (which would be the case if you were transferred from IS), then you should also receive the Enhanced Disability Premium for being placed in the Support Group.

You should receive back payments based on your new Support Group status from the date of the Decision you appealed until today.

Congratulations on the award :)

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by Gordon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: vintage1959

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris