× Members

Correction of Claimant's Mistake

More
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #97713 by Spridgett
Correction of Claimant's Mistake was created by Spridgett
Hi,

I am currently appealing against a FFW decision, following my reassessment for migration from IB to ESA. As a local authority service user, I am fortunate to have been able to avail myself of the services of the council's Senior Benefits Advice Officer, who has agreed to act on my behalf during the appeal process and to accompany me to any tribunal, if required. Having scrutinised my ESA50 and ESA85 documents, the aforesaid officer has concluded that I have contributed to my dilemma by grossly overestiimating the distance I can mobilise before having to stop. I appreciate that you are unable to advise on individual cases, so I shall go into no further detail in this regard, other than to say that I scored only 12 points at the assessment. Along with a supporting letter from my GP, the officer has written to the DWP, submitting documentary evidence as to the nature and magnitude of my mistake. She has assured me that my error is not "insurmountable" and is confident that the decision can be overturned.

I was wondering whether any other forum users/moderators have any experience of a decision being revised following an honest and genuine mistake by a claimant, as opposed to one made by the DWP? I realise that the latter is a common occurrence, but I am unaware of the frequency of the former and would be interested in any feedback from the forum in this regard.

Thank you.
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #97717 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Correction of Claimant's Mistake

Spridgett wrote: Hi,

I am currently appealing against a FFW decision, following my reassessment for migration from IB to ESA. As a local authority service user, I am fortunate to have been able to avail myself of the services of the council's Senior Benefits Advice Officer, who has agreed to act on my behalf during the appeal process and to accompany me to any tribunal, if required. Having scrutinised my ESA50 and ESA85 documents, the aforesaid officer has concluded that I have contributed to my dilemma by grossly overestiimating the distance I can mobilise before having to stop. I appreciate that you are unable to advise on individual cases, so I shall go into no further detail in this regard, other than to say that I scored only 12 points at the assessment. Along with a supporting letter from my GP, the officer has written to the DWP, submitting documentary evidence as to the nature and magnitude of my mistake. She has assured me that my error is not "insurmountable" and is confident that the decision can be overturned.

I was wondering whether any other forum users/moderators have any experience of a decision being revised following an honest and genuine mistake by a claimant, as opposed to one made by the DWP? I realise that the latter is a common occurrence, but I am unaware of the frequency of the former and would be interested in any feedback from the forum in this regard.

Thank you.

I cannot recall an example where the claimant has over estimated the distance they can walk, but have seen claimants misunderstanding that significant discomfort or exhaustion can limit the distance, or that they should be assessed on the basis of how they are for the majority of the time.

To be honest, much of it is down to why you made the original mistake and how you go about explaining it, a further factor would be the evidence available to support your new assertions.

Maybe some of the members have direct experience of this, and can comment.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by Gordon.

• Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
More
11 years 2 months ago #97719 by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
Replied by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law) on topic Correction of Claimant's Mistake
Well DWP Decision Makers often make miscalculations similar to those described by Sprdiget, and they are allowed to correct mistakes at the stroke of a pen, so on the grounds 'natural justice' i.e.
fair play at work, I can see no reason why claimants should not be allowed to do the same.

PLEASE READ THE SPOTLIGHTS AREA OF THE FORUM REGULARLY, OTHERWISE YOU MAY MISS OUT ON IMPORTANT INFORMATION. Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.