× Members

Appeal Submission - WRAG to SG

More
11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #98188 by Ortho Tortoise
Appeal Submission - WRAG to SG was created by Ortho Tortoise
Finally got letter from GP after requesting one mid November, now preparing the submission for my appeal at the end of Feb, some advice needed.

I have received the evidence bundle from the DWP, simply says I scored 15 points so have LCW but met none of the descriptors so do not have LCWRA, not very helpful when trying to prepare for an appeal. Is it reasonable then to go over why you feel that you meet the SG descriptors and indicate the evidence you are producing to support this?

I have had 2 hospital appts recently so will be submitting the 2 clinic letters together with the additional more detailed letter from my GP as supporting evidence. Since the DWP have not seen these would it be worthwhile sending these, or maybe the whole appeal submission, to the DWP as well as the Tribunal Service? Do they ever look at claims again between reconsideration (refused) and appeal?

Do the HCP and DWP view evidence from a private Physio differently than an NHS one? I see a physio privately as he has experience of the particular complicated surgery I have had, and is very much ‘hands on’ which is what I need. I have also been told; on more than one occasion by NHS Physios, that they were not interested in treating me as my condition is chronic. He wrote a detailed letter in support which up to now seems to have been completely ignored.

I have been in receipt of HRM for nearly 30 years (made indefinite in 1990) and LRC since 2008 (indefinite), I did not specifically mention this on my ESA50 as I appreciate the criteria are different. Should I make the Tribunal aware of this fact?

With a 2 person panel how does it work if there is a difference of opinion between the 2 members?

Finally, my submission looks like being around 4 A4 typed pages with approx 10 pages of additional evidence. I have numbered my major points and referred to the supporting evidence (some is in the evidence bundle, some is new and in some instances I am actually referring to comments in the HCP report which support my case!!!). Is that concise enough or should I try to condense it further?

Sorry for the lengthy post but thought it was easier to put all by questions in one place. This process has now gone on for over a year and is proving very stressful, many thanks to this site for all your help and valuable advice.

Many Thanks
Last edit: 11 years 3 months ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 3 months ago #98195 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Appeal Submission - WRAG to SG
OT

To try and answer your questions.

There is absolutely no reason why you should not point out which SG descriptors you believe you meet and why.

With regard your clinic and GP letters. Any submission and evidence has to sent to the Tribunal in advance of the hearing so that it can be copied to all parties. For the letters to be considered, they must make specific reference to what your condition would have been at the date of the original Decision, if they do not you run the risk of them being excluded by the Tribunal judge.

All new evidence should be reviewed by the DWP, but it would be unusual for them to Reconsider their Decision unless this new evidence hi-lights a fundamental flaw in the original Decision. Some areas, but not all, may also review all of the evidence a couple of day before the hearing, and this can result in a revision of the Decision.

The DWP and ATOS should only be concerned by the qualification of the person providing your evidence, whether they are private or NHS should not have any effect on their view.

You can certainly mention your DLA award, however, you are correct in thinking that the qualification criteria are different, and in the case of your award, are less strict than the ESA equivalents, however, they do go towards reflecting a protracted level of poor health.

If the panel are divided, then the Judge will have the casting vote.

With regard your submission, as a general rule, less is better than more, but never at the cost of explaining your case, having a well indexed document which allows the panel to easily find the information you are referring to can go a long way towards compensating for having more pages. I am also aware of claimants who have had 3-4 times the number of pages you are suggesting, and have been successful in their Appeal, so a large submission is not in itself is not a limiting factor.

If I have missed anything or you have more questions, please reply to this topic.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #98208 by Ortho Tortoise
Replied by Ortho Tortoise on topic Appeal Submission - WRAG to SG
Hi Gordon

Many thanks for your information/advice, I think you have covered all my queries. Re the clinic letters, they do refer to a fall I had just after my 'conversion'. I appreciate the problems that have ensued after this have to be ignored, but they still make reference to my long standing mobility issues. I have further clinic appts the week before the tribunal. I am using the part relating to my fall as an example of the substantial risk I always have of falling and causing physical harm to myself, I have complicated knee problems together with Osteoporosis, not a good combination.

Just to clarify, should I send the submission and additional evidence to the DWP or will the Tribunal Service do this?, my appeal is 24 Feb so I will get everything off early next week in plenty of time.

Thanks again.
Last edit: 11 years 3 months ago by Gordon.

More
11 years 3 months ago #98217 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Appeal Submission - WRAG to SG

Ortho Tortoise wrote: Hi Gordon
Just to clarify, should I send the submission and additional evidence to the DWP or will the Tribunal Service do this?, my appeal is 24 Feb so I will get everything off early next week in plenty of time.

Once an Appeal has been referred to the Tribunal Service, a claimant should only correspond with the TS, they will then copy the content to all of the concerned parties.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
11 years 3 months ago #98220 by Ortho Tortoise
Thanks Gordon

I will post again if I get any other questions as I produce the submission, it is amazing what questions come to light as you start producing it.

Many thanks once again.

More
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #98469 by Ortho Tortoise
Further query re appeal submission. I am appealing on the grounds that I meet one or more of the SG descriptors and using exceptional circumstances as a back up. I also feel that I was not a 'Notified Person' as per the regulations, my conversion process started January 2012. I would rather win my appeal on medical grounds and not on a technicality which would mean me going through the whole process again, if they accepted this argument, so I was not going to deal with the conversion letter issue in the appeal.

Question, If I lost the appeal, could I still raise the conversion letter issue or does the fact that I have not mentioned it in my initial appeal mean I cannot raise it later?

Many Thanks
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by Gordon.

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.