× Members

esa and private pension

More
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #98245 by scruffs
esa and private pension was created by scruffs
Hi

am totally confused, my sister who has mental health issues is in receipt of esa in the support group,
not sure if it is contributory or income based will phone tomorrow to find out, received a letter this morning saying that her private pension of£206 a month will be taxed by £14,
Phoned the hmrc, who asked me if she was recceiving contributory or income based esa, was not sure so told them it was contributory, and i was told in that case she should be paying more is this correct

would be grateful for any help with this

Have to say a big THANK YOU for all your help in the past, a truly great site :)
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by Gordon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jig

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 month ago #98249 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic esa and private pension

scruffs wrote: Hi

am totally confused, my sister who has mental health issues is in receipt of esa in the support group,
not sure if it is contributory or income based will phone tomorrow to find out, received a letter this morning saying that her private pension of£206 a month will be taxed by £14,
Phoned the hmrc, who asked me if she was recceiving contributory or income based esa, was not sure so told them it was contributory, and i was told in that case she should be paying more is this correct

would be grateful for any help with this

Have to say a big THANK YOU for all your help in the past, a truly great site :)

Contribution Based ESA (not Income Related ESA), is liable to tax, I assume what has happened is that the combination of her ESA(CB) and her pension have exceeded her personal allowance and as a result some of her pension is now being deducted as tax.

It is worth checking her tax code is correct and she is not on an emergency one as this may result in too much being deducted, it also worth checking at the end of each finnancial year what her annual tax liability should be in case she can calim a refund.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #98250 by scruffs
Replied by scruffs on topic esa and private pension
Thank you for your reply Gordon really appreciated,

When I phone tomorrow should I be told that she is on income based esa, is the outcome the same as being on contributory esa
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by Gordon.

More
11 years 1 month ago #98254 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic esa and private pension

scruffs wrote: Thank you for your reply Gordon really appreciated,

When I phone tomorrow should I be told that she is on income based esa, is the outcome the same as being on contributory esa

No, Income Related ESA is not liable to tax.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: scruffs

More
11 years 1 month ago #98257 by scruffs
Replied by scruffs on topic esa and private pension
Thanks again Gordon :)

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.