× Members

Severe Discomfort v Significant Discomfort

More
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #98459 by MSCarer
I was reading some advice about avoiding using the words "severe discomfort" but instead use the words "significant discomfort".

I know the WCA handbook mentions "significant discomfort" when mobilising.

Any guidelines or UT cases about this? What is significant discomfort?!
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 month ago #98460 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Severe Discomfort v Significant Discomfort

MSCarer wrote: I was reading some advice about avoiding using the words "severe discomfort" but instead use the words "significant discomfort".

I know the WCA handbook mentions "significant discomfort" when mobilising.

Any guidelines or UT cases about this? What is significant discomfort?!

The phrase "significant discomfort" is what is used in the legislation, there is no clear definition of what this means, and the only UT clarrification is that significant discomfort is less than significant pain.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #98462 by MSCarer
Replied by MSCarer on topic Severe Discomfort v Significant Discomfort
So is "significant discomfort" applicable to all the physical activities on ESA50 form?

More
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #98467 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Severe Discomfort v Significant Discomfort

MSCarer wrote: So is "significant discomfort" applicable to all the physical activities on ESA50 form?

The phrase is used specifically in the Mobilising test (question 1), and the the Standing and Sitting test (question 2), but it is reasonable to take it into account for the other tests where discomfort would be a factor.

I am reasonably sure that there is case law on the subject, but cannot remember the reference, however, this suject is documented in the Decision Makers Guide

The test of whether a claimant cannot perform an activity is not whether or not they are physically incapable of performing it. Matters such as pain, discomfort and repeatability are taken into account. A claimant is not capable of carrying out an activity if they can only do so with severe pain or, if having done it once, they are unable to repeat it for hours or days. The extent of a claimant’s ability to repeat the activity in a single stretch and of the intervals at which the claimant would be able to repeat the performance should be identified. A decision can then be made on whether the claimant can perform the relevant descriptor with reasonable regularity.

It is also covered in the ESA Claim Guides.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.