× Members

Shocked By DWP Fibromyalgia PDF on Here

More
11 years 2 months ago #98770 by Asbo
Hi

I downloaded the Fibromyalgia.doc and I have heard how they 'perceive' fibromyalgia and while some of the stuff was OK, I was beyond shocked to find a sub-heading marked 'Malingering' and of course all the stuff about the biopsychosocial model which has been used in the US to deny disabled people their health insurance payouts. No wonder people with fibromyalgia get a raw deal.

I got my initial letter from the DWP today and I have fibromyalgia (as well as mental health - anxiety, social and agoraphobia etc) but so many of the symptoms of fibro are mental AS WELL as physical eg fatigue and cognitive skills just as many mental health problems are physical AS WELL eg IBS, breathing, palpitations. I just think this whole thing is a mockery and a sham. With their guidelines on fibromyalgia, if you state that is 'mental' they have got you in a bind by saying 'see, it's all in their heads' whereas if you say it is physical a lot of the descriptors won't apply so you'e in a no-win situation more than ever before.

I am incensed that there's a paragraph on malingering. Do they say that about all conditions or are people with fibromyalgia especially singled out to deny us our entitlements.

I feel as if I'm doomed before I even start.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 2 months ago #98773 by leed46
Replied by leed46 on topic Shocked By DWP Fibromyalgia PDF on Here
Hi

I too have Fibromyalgia. Don't despair. I recently recieved an award which I felt to be fair. I found the guide and text on my condition, particularly malingering, to be insightful. It provided a useful 'heads-up' as to how some Decision Makers and medical experts might percieve my disability ...which helped me to make sure that I submitted overwhelming evidence and that I didn't leave any stone unturned. Had these sections not have been included in the guides, I am uncertain whether I would have made as big an effort as I did to ensure Decision Makers couldn't dismiss me as fabricating or exaggerating my condition.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Asbo, jaq

More
11 years 2 months ago #98775 by killbot99
Replied by killbot99 on topic Shocked By DWP Fibromyalgia PDF on Here
Hi

When you realise that many doctors in the UK either don't recognise FMS or think it is all in the head then you can hardly wonder at it that the DWP are taking the same view, not that I am excusing it of course.

My own theory is that condtions like ME, CFS, and fibromyalgia are invisible condtions. there are no clinical tests like blood tests, x-rays etc and no definitve diagnosis. And because there is no cure as yet either doctors get frustrated and patients are told to go away and manage at home. The conditions can merely be managed and they are not "glamorous", they will win no prizes for curing the disease, unlike cancer or Alzheimers. All patients can do is to try and make the best of what life they have.

That said though don't lose hope. I have FMS, as well as several other conditions but fibro is my main one and I got into the support group, migrated over from IB to ESA with no medical. So it's not all gloom and doom. Take your time, read the guides thoroughly, draft out in rough what you intend to say. Give as much information about how your condition affects you on a daily basis and say if any of the medications you take have side-effects.

Fibro is a painful,debiltating and disabling condition and is recognised by many medical authorities (DWP included despite the blurb you have read). Until people have experienced it they have no idea. I am sure if the DWP had their way they would like stroke patients, those with heart disease and cancer to be so easily dismissed as well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: CLINE, Asbo

More
11 years 2 months ago #98779 by Asbo
Replied by Asbo on topic Shocked By DWP Fibromyalgia PDF on Here
Many thanks madcatwoman and leed46 for your reassuring posts. Good advice, leed46, though I don't think I have overwhelming evidence. However my GP is completely supportive.

I agree, mcw, that fibro is an invisible condition like ME, MS, Lupus and a whole lot more. A member of my family has MS and there are a lot of overlaps though he has the progressive sort. It's my view from conversations with many others with fibro (and ME) that there are likely to be progressive and relapse-remitting forms of fibro (and ME). Yes, I'm just being migrated although I have been on IB for years for mental health and not fibro. I always thought mental health was viewed suspiciously by the DWP but not as much as fibro. I guess it just depends who you get, luck of the draw! It's good to know that you got into Support Group without a medical. What worries me is all the changes, new rules about mental vs physical and harder to appeal plus withdrawn legal aid funding.

Yes, heart disease, cancer and strokes have been dismissed by the DWP, that's very evident.

• sanlyn
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #98787 by sanlyn
Replied by sanlyn on topic Shocked By DWP Fibromyalgia PDF on Here
Hi, where did you find this .doc? I've done a search for it but come up with nothing. If someone could put a link up that would be great. Thanks! I had my medical to day and am now a touch worried :dry:
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by Gordon.

More
11 years 2 months ago #98791 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Shocked By DWP Fibromyalgia PDF on Here

sanlyn wrote: Hi, where did you find this .doc? I've done a search for it but come up with nothing. If someone could put a link up that would be great. Thanks! I had my medical to day and am now a touch worried :dry:

It is in the Members Only area in the section marked "Dual DLA & Incapacity".

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: sanlyn

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.