× Members

DLA Hearing in 2 days help please please

• laura2012
  • Topic Author
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #98994 by laura2012
DLA Hearing in 2 days help please please was created by laura2012
Hi there would really like some help please as feel have no one to turn to i am attending a DLA hearing on thursday on behalf of my husband ,my hubby had an RTA in 1987 and was lucky to be alive at this time he was on incapicity benefit because he had to learn to walk again ,he has always had issues and has always suffered cronic pain in legs,hips grion and wrists because they are all steel my hubby has always been a proud man and went back to work for his own peace of mind because as everyone was brought up to work and feed his family.In july 2011 he suffered an heart attack which was devastating for all our family and our three kids ,after dealing with this he was then put on ESA which did not have a clue about until looked online,we were advised in August to apply for DLA by jobcenter plus so I filled online ,got refused so put in for reconsideration got refused,my husband suffers cronic pain in all joints and cannot do alot of things because of all old injuries coming back to haunt him and has aslo been diagnoised with depression ,he is currently taken morphine tablets for the pain and cannot sleep because of the pain ,we know have a cpn invloved and also a welfare officer but feel that not been given any help from her,she is not even attending the hearing with myself but is sending someone else along but she has said that she does not think my hubby will be awarded surely this is all wrong and feel that this is humilating to go along to one of these hearing and put our life open like a book sorry this is long but thought would put this doen please can someone advise me of what to expect on thursday.
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 2 months ago #98998 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic DLA Hearing in 2 days help please please
Laura

Your post suggests that your husband is not attending the hearing, if this is the case, then I have to warn you that it may not be to his advantage. Have you notified the Tribunal Service Service that he will not be attending as you run the risk of the hearing be adjourned so that he can?

You have talked a lot about his conditions and medical history, but these are of secondary importance in regard to DLA, as it will be his Care and Mobility needs that will be looked at, that is why it is important that he attends as the panel will want to question him about these.

If you have not already done so, I would recommend that you go back through our DLA Claim guides to see how he (you?) can explain his needs in the context of his conditions and limitations.

You have not talked about any submission or evidence that has been given to the TS, but you should go back over this and hi-light the main points that you want to get across at the hearing, you should also given some thought as to what might be said in summary of his case.

Best of luck

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
11 years 2 months ago #99000 by melady
Replied by melady on topic DLA Hearing in 2 days help please please
Hi Laura,
I can only tell you about my experiences but I hope it will help you a little.
I have been to two tribunals while claimimg DLA and the first I attended by myself and the 2nd time with my husband.We had no help from outside agencies with any part of the process and on both occasions I was succesful and was awarded DLA.
I have ME and is not easy to explain the problems facing daily living but I went into detail as much as I could. and was as honest as I could be, and I think the panel then understood the problems I had.
So my advice is not to dwell on your husbands illnesses as such but more how it affects him every day and stress everything big or small like getting dressed or getting into the bath.I have 4 baths sometimes in a day when the pain is really bad as I find that hot water reduces the pain. Tell them things like this which are not normal.
I hope this has helped.

Good luck on the day,

Melady.

• laura2012
  • Topic Author
11 years 2 months ago #99009 by laura2012
Replied by laura2012 on topic DLA Hearing in 2 days help please please
hi Gorden many thanks i have been told from my welfare officer that i shall be able to go on his behalf ,my husband needs care all the time from bathing in/out dressing, ect because of his pain my husband cpn has faxed a detailed report to them about him ,and also the welfare officier has submitted a report to.At no time has anyone asked for a copy of his medical records.We had the atos docter out in November and he has stated in his report that my husband has reduced mobility,just feel that the DLA are not looking at our case properly and feel that all this hearing will cause more stress to my husband any myself .

My husband is a very proud man and he feels that he will be humilatied by the experience.

many thanks for your reply

• laura2012
  • Topic Author
11 years 2 months ago #99010 by laura2012
Replied by laura2012 on topic DLA Hearing in 2 days help please please
Hello

Many thanks for your reply it is very difficult in the day to day life as my hubby is very limited of what he can do ,he cant stand for long or sit for long because of the pain ,but yes the hot baths do help sometimes.

many thanks for your kind words
laura

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.