× Members

ESA medical - Very strange indeed

More
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #99034 by Naughtybonbon
ESA medical - Very strange indeed was created by Naughtybonbon
Hi All

My appointment for my ESA medical was for 4th Feb ( :( my birthday)
Despite the pain, fatigue and physical problems walking I attended and after waiting very uncomfortably for an hour was called in to see the nurse.

I explained that my condition had changed since completing the ESA50 in October, and that on the 23rd Jan was rushed into hospital with stroke symptoms and that since being sent home all of my other symptoms were a lot worse.

She advised that I needed to see a doctor and that I should reschedule as it was clear that I was in a lot of pain and couldn't wait.

Anyway I went back on 6th Feb for appointment with doc. After waiting two and a half hours and mom enquiring what was taking so long (it appears I had been overlooked and they tried to make out I had seen the nurse in this time) I was called in.
I made sure that I write a letter to DWP detailing how being made to wait that long was unacceptable and that I suffered a decline in health as a result.

I had familiarised myself with the questions asked before I went and I thought I was prepared as I had tried to answer most of these questions on the form anyway.

I was completely baffelled by everything they asked

Questions included
Spell "world" which I managed to mix up the letters somehow.
Spell "world" backwards

Take 7 away from 100, then from the answer, then from the answer again and so on. Managed to fluff that one up too

Do you use a landline or mobile telephone, I said that there isn't really any difference as the landline is cordless so I can use it lying on the sofa.

I was asked when I last worked and why I stopped working, to which I stated that I used to work for DWP and despite all reasonable adjustments being made I could not offer a reliable service so they dismissed me.

The doctor stated on more than one occasion that my case was being audited, does anyone have any ideas why this would be?
Originally I just thought it is just one of those checks they make, but have since been thinking maybe they just don't believe a word I've put on my form.

I was wondering if anyone else has had sort of a Mensa test in their assessment could this now be part of their new guidelines or is it just me?

Also how long did it take for everyone to receive a decision.

I'll get my head round all this one day, by then it will all change again .......
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by slugsta.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 2 months ago #99038 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic ESA medical - Very strange indeed
If the doctor knew that his work was being audited, I guess he wanted to be as thorough as possible. The 'mensa' questions are part of what is caled a 'mini mental test' to assess confusion/forgetfulness.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
11 years 2 months ago #99039 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA medical - Very strange indeed
Naughtybonbon

The questions you mention are usually used where the claimant has reported mental health issues, was this something you included on your ESA50?

The only thing I can think of in regard to the examination being "audited" is that ATOS were carrying out some kind of internal quality assurance exercise.

A Decision could be made in week or months, I am afraid there is no way to predict how long it will take.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
11 years 2 months ago #99042 by Naughtybonbon
Replied by Naughtybonbon on topic ESA medical - Very strange indeed

Mrs Hurtyback wrote: If the doctor knew that his work was being audited, I guess he wanted to be as thorough as possible. The 'mensa' questions are part of what is caled a 'mini mental test' to assess confusion/forgetfulness.

Thank you, it makes sense now.

I'll get my head round all this one day, by then it will all change again .......

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.