× Members

esa manual wheelchair

More
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #99601 by MSCarer
Replied by MSCarer on topic esa manual wheelchair
It is worth seeing if you are physically and safely able to get in and out of a wheelchair independently. Keep in mind that getting into a wheelchair means being able to balance yourself whilst twisting around and moving backwards without being able to see where you are going - this is a lot of coordination and is difficult for non-disabled people to do, especially when you have to contend with the arms and the foot rests.
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #99607 by
Replied by on topic esa manual wheelchair

MSCarer wrote: It is worth seeing if you are physically and safely able to get in and out of a wheelchair independently. Keep in mind that getting into a wheelchair means being able to balance yourself whilst twisting around and moving backwards without being able to see where you are going - this is a lot of coordination and is difficult for non-disabled people to do, especially when you have to contend with the arms and the foot rests.

Hi MSC,

This is where Activity :

"2. Transferring from one seated position to another.

Cannot move between one seated position and another seated position located next to one another without receiving physical assistance from another person."

Could also be pertinent to Activity :

"1. Mobilising unaided by another person with or without a walking stick, manual wheelchair or other aid if such aid can reasonably be used.

Cannot either:
(a)

mobilise more than 50 metres on level ground without stopping in order to avoid significant discomfort or exhaustion; or

(b)

repeatedly mobilise 50 metres within a reasonable timescale because of significant discomfort or exhaustion."

Of :

SG (LCWRA) Descriptors

With respect to use of a manual wheelchair.

bro58
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by .

• susan beaver
11 years 2 months ago #99614 by susan beaver
Replied by susan beaver on topic esa manual wheelchair
hi all, I had my assessment and scored 0 points the doctor said i could work with the use of a wheelchair, i went to appeal with this with a letter off my gp saying i could not propel a wheelchair myself due to spinal problems but the doc at assessment said i had no problem with upper body so the judge went with what the doctor at the assessment said and i lost my appeal.

More
11 years 2 months ago #99621 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic esa manual wheelchair
Oh dear, that is bad news. You should now ask the Tribunal service for a 'Statement of Reasons' and get an expert opinion as to whether there is any error in law, as that is the only permissable basis to take this further :(

Tribunals – Requesting a Statement of Reasons

What is an Error of Law?

In addition, you can re-apply if it is more than 6 months since the original decision - as long as you have the required NI contributions or would meet the means test for income-related ESA.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• susan beaver
11 years 2 months ago #99626 by susan beaver
Replied by susan beaver on topic esa manual wheelchair
Thank you for the reply mrs hurtyback.

I started a new claim of esa on 28th january, as i was waiting for all documents i requested from the tribunal.
I can see clearly where i went wrong on my original esa claim and why i got 0 points, i also got caught out on the what do you watch on tv questions the doctor put that i can sit and watch tv for several hours.so now i have started a fresh new claim and with the help of bw guides i feel that i can put all evidence correctly on my form its almost complete now so going to post it next week.

Thank you b&w for all the advice on here

More
11 years 2 months ago #99631 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic esa manual wheelchair
Good luck Susie!

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: susan beaver

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.