× Members

Reassessment query

More
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #99556 by beans
Reassessment query was created by beans
I'm a first time poster but a long time reader. I have a DLA assessment form I need to fill in because my situation has changed (for the worst) and I'm stressing even though I haven't even begun to write my name and address.

I am currently on the higher rate for mobility and the lower rate for personal care at the moment. Both are 'indefinite' awards. As I have recently been for a IB to ESA medical, they know my situation has very recently changed and now I have to bite the bullet and update my DLA claim.

I am very concerned that my higher rate of mobility might suffer, or that the 'indefinite' award might be downgraded - despite my recent diagnoses meaning I won't ever be getting any better. I do, however, need the personal care rate to go up because I am going to have to claim the carers allowance as my husband is home most of the time with me instead of being at work and something has to give.

Is there any way I can word my claim so they don't need to look at the mobility rate again, just the personal care rate? I would be devastated if they took the higher rate from me because my motability car is the only thing that can get me out of the house these days.

Thanks in advance.

I collect illnesses the way some people collect clutter.
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 2 months ago #99563 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Reassessment query

beans wrote: I'm a first time poster but a long time reader. I have a DLA assessment form I need to fill in because my situation has changed (for the worst) and I'm stressing even though I haven't even begun to write my name and address.

I am currently on the higher rate for mobility and the lower rate for personal care at the moment. Both are 'indefinite' awards. As I have recently been for a IB to ESA medical, they know my situation has very recently changed and now I have to bite the bullet and update my DLA claim.

I am very concerned that my higher rate of mobility might suffer, or that the 'indefinite' award might be downgraded - despite my recent diagnoses meaning I won't ever be getting any better. I do, however, need the personal care rate to go up because I am going to have to claim the carers allowance as my husband is home most of the time with me instead of being at work and something has to give.

Is there any way I can word my claim so they don't need to look at the mobility rate again, just the personal care rate? I would be devastated if they took the higher rate from me because my motability car is the only thing that can get me out of the house these days.

Thanks in advance.

It is possible to request that just the Care component be re-assessed, you should mark the mobility section "no change", however, you need to be aware that the DWP are still entitled to re-assess your mobility award if they feel that it may have changed, also if you are successful in being awarded MRC or HRC but for a fixed term only, then it is quite likely that they will also change your HRM to a fixed term as well.

As you are the one reporting the Change of Circumstance, the burden of proof with regard your increased care needs lies wholely on you, and you will need to provide all of the evidence required to support your claim.

Best of luck

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: beans

More
11 years 2 months ago #99574 by beans
Replied by beans on topic Reassessment query
Thank you for your reply. The reason I'm doing this is because I am obliged to, rather than to establish a new claim. I genuinely believe things have got much worse now because I need walking aids and very soon I will need a wheelchair. If I hadn't had the recent medical, I don't know if I'd have even requested a new DLA form because I'm fortunate (if that's the correct word) to be in the indefinite category.

I'm guessing I would be best explaining how things have changed and leave the rest up to them, which is what I was going to do anyway. It would be the cherry on top if I could claim carers allowance because my husband is at home helping me far more than he is out working and things are getting to breaking point.

I haven't had the results of the medical from two weeks ago yet so I'm nervous as it is. I've read so many horror stories and even though I am far from being employable on any level due to multiple physical and mental illnesses, I still feel stressed over it all. Probably in part because I've always had a very strong work ethic - I've worked since I was 10 years old (when I had three jobs) and never looked back until I physically couldn't drag myself to work any longer. Even though I've paid into the system for 30 years, well, I just hate being in this situation and would do anything to change it if it was possible.

I collect illnesses the way some people collect clutter.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.